Menu

What would these cholesterol numbers make you think?

Cammie

Hive,

Here in India it is very common to go for a complete health check up through a clinic or a hospital and get all your blood work, scans, everthing done in one go.

In 2009 I went to a very reputable clinic that does only health checks.

In 2014 (yes...I should have gone earlier!) I went to a very big hospital in town and did one of their health checks.

Last week I went to a new hospital in town and did one of their health checks.

My results from the three places (in chronological order) are as follows:

Total Cholesterol 150/190/160

Triglyderides 80/ 118/ 89

HDL 52/53/44

LDL 85/ 113/99

VLDL 16/24/17.8

Now my very suspicious mind looks at these numbers and says WOW almost everything is significantly worse at the 2014 hospital.  Hmmm, posible that they are artificially inflating the numbers?  My health has not changed dramatically over the years.  I would think my 2015 results should look more like the 2014 results than the 2009 results. 

What says the Hive??

The numbers are a snapshot, and even fasting blood tests can vary a lot based upon diet during the past day, week or even month.  The only person I know with fairly consistent blood work is my dad, but if he does a fasting blood work after Thanksgiving or Christmas/New Years it will still be fairly different from his blood work in June or July (he indulges in sweets during those times, but they are not part of his regular diet).

• Like 3

Your cholesterol numbers can be influenced by shifts in your diet, exercise, etc. within several weeks of the testing. 

But your numbers tend to be in the same ranges. When the numbers are in the same ranges, you may not even have statistically significant differences. 

Total: normal/normal/normal

Trig: normal/normal/normal

HDL: normal, normal, low

LDL: optimal, near optimal, optimal

VLDL: normal, normal, normal 

In fact, there was a notable drop in your HDL from the first two tests to this one. It is the good cholesterol and is protective.  I would watch that and think through what changes there have been that might account for that. 

So no, I would not have the slightest suspicion of the hospital that did the tests for the second set of numbers. What motive would they have had to artificially inflate your numbers? The numbers they gave you do not require treatment. 

• Like 2

Thanks!  The hospital is notorious for its attempts to get more money out of patients.

For example, my daughter tore a ligament when she was young.  She had surgery, went through rehab, the works.  When that was all over her doctor said...time for the second surgery.  That was the first it was mentioned.  We went for a second opinion outside of that hospital and were told that only an olympic athelete would get the second surgery.  Years later I have had that second opinion confirmed by one of the most respected ortho docs in the city. There are lots of stories like that about the hospital.

It just seemed weird to me when I compared the numbers but you are right, when you comare the ranges they don't look as out of whack. 

Thanks!  The hospital is notorious for its attempts to get more money out of patients.

For example, my daughter tore a ligament when she was young.  She had surgery, went through rehab, the works.  When that was all over her doctor said...time for the second surgery.  That was the first it was mentioned.  We went for a second opinion outside of that hospital and were told that only an olympic athelete would get the second surgery.  Years later I have had that second opinion confirmed by one of the most respected ortho docs in the city. There are lots of stories like that about the hospital.

It just seemed weird to me when I compared the numbers but you are right, when you comare the ranges they don't look as out of whack. 

That makes sense then why you would have had suspicions if you've already experienced that there and if they have that rep. 

• Like 1

Hive,

Here in India it is very common to go for a complete health check up through a clinic or a hospital and get all your blood work, scans, everthing done in one go.

In 2009 I went to a very reputable clinic that does only health checks.

In 2014 (yes...I should have gone earlier!) I went to a very big hospital in town and did one of their health checks.

Last week I went to a new hospital in town and did one of their health checks.

My results from the three places (in chronological order) are as follows:

Total Cholesterol 150/190/160

Triglyderides 80/ 118/ 89

HDL 52/53/44

LDL 85/ 113/99

VLDL 16/24/17.8

Now my very suspicious mind looks at these numbers and says WOW almost everything is significantly worse at the 2014 hospital.  Hmmm, posible that they are artificially inflating the numbers?  My health has not changed dramatically over the years.  I would think my 2015 results should look more like the 2014 results than the 2009 results. 

What says the Hive??

Yeah, I'd be suspicious. 

Maybe you can redo them again soon and see if you get a match for your recent results.