Menu

Hwy 90 coming from WY, into South Dakota to Rapid City?

Cottonwood

We are moving in a few weeks from Montana to Florida and my husband plans to go (in part) by way of Hwy 90 from Wyoming, coming into South Dakota and through Rapid City.  As I look at the map, the terrain right on Hwy 90 coming into SD looks mountainous.  I love the mountains, but mountain roads with sheer drop offs, even if it's a 4 lane interstate, causes me terrible anxiety and I'll be driving one of our vehicles.  I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if this Hwy is along side the mountain, through the mountains, way up high and scary? Scary is parts, a steep grade?  LOL  ...Or, what exactly is it like on that stretch?  And does it flatten out after Rapid City?   

We were just there. It was not bad at all. The road was in excellent shape as well.

We left Rapid City, went west on I-90 to Sheridan, and then north to Devil's Tower. We came out 24/34 back to Belle Fourche then dropped down to 90. So you can look at the map and see where we were at. The back roads were definitely in the foothills, but we did not incur any steep grades at all. 24/34 was well maintained. There were a few curves but again, nothing that a moving truck should be concerned about. Now,  US 16 around Mt. Rushmore would be a much trickier trip!

You are probably well aware of this, but just in case, we drove through there a few years ago during a cross-country move on the first weekend of August and were caught by the craziness that is Sturgis.  There was no place to stay anywhere in the area and I'd want to drive straight through with no stops if I had to go there at the beginning of August.  There were a lot of people. Someday I want to go back for the bike rally, but not in the middle of a move. :)

I didn't think the road was bad, but I grew up on mountain roads so my perspective may not be very useful.  You can use google street view to drive along the road before to see if it works for you.

If you are going to spend the night in Rapid City, we can highly recommend the Baymont at exit 61. They gave us a nice, big room for five, and all of the rooms have a microwave and refrigerator. The scrambled eggs at the breakfast buffet are real eggs, not powdered, and sausage links or bacon every day plus sausage gravy and biscuits, five kinds of fresh fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, two kinds of cold cereal, juice, and lots of coffee plus the usual pastries and toast. It is also close to a Target which is nice.

• Like 1

We were just there. It was not bad at all. The road was in excellent shape as well.

We left Rapid City, went west on I-90 to Sheridan, and then north to Devil's Tower. We came out 24/34 back to Belle Fourche then dropped down to 90. So you can look at the map and see where we were at. The back roads were definitely in the foothills, but we did not incur any steep grades at all. 24/34 was well maintained. There were a few curves but again, nothing that a moving truck should be concerned about. Now,  US 16 around Mt. Rushmore would be a much trickier trip!

Yeah, we want to try to make it to Rapid City, spend the night, get up the next morning and go see Rushmore before heading out..I've googled those roads and DH will drive us out to see the carvings.  I just wouldn't be capable. lol

You are probably well aware of this, but just in case, we drove through there a few years ago during a cross-country move on the first weekend of August and were caught by the craziness that is Sturgis.  There was no place to stay anywhere in the area and I'd want to drive straight through with no stops if I had to go there at the beginning of August.  There were a lot of people. Someday I want to go back for the bike rally, but not in the middle of a move. :)

I didn't think the road was bad, but I grew up on mountain roads so my perspective may not be very useful.  You can use google street view to drive along the road before to see if it works for you.

We leave July 24.  That would safe, do you think?

I've been trying to google images of I-90 and what I see looks pretty flat.  How do I do a 'google street view'?  

If you are going to spend the night in Rapid City, we can highly recommend the Baymont at exit 61. They gave us a nice, big room for five, and all of the rooms have a microwave and refrigerator. The scrambled eggs at the breakfast buffet are real eggs, not powdered, and sausage links or bacon every day plus sausage gravy and biscuits, five kinds of fresh fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, two kinds of cold cereal, juice, and lots of coffee plus the usual pastries and toast. It is also close to a Target which is nice.

wow, thanks.  I'm going to call ahead and try to get a room.

For street view zoom all the way in on google maps on the area you're looking at, then find the little person down in the lower right corner of the map and drag that little person onto the road you want to check. You can move along that road or drop the little guy in different areas. Does that make sense?

July 24th shouldn't be a conflict with Sturgis.

We booked with expedia. We could not get a better price anywhere else, and paid, if memory serves, around $110.00. But, we booked it last August 28th so almost a year in advance. I would imagine that prices are going up, but the Motel 6 in town is a PIT (friends stayed there last summer due to finances being to tight to afford anything else and you really do not want to know what they dealt with for three days), and the other, better chains were comparably priced...maybe $5.00 - $10.00 less for the Super 8 but since we were staying for a week, we really wanted something better. The Ramada has a great waterpark, but I think the price is running $200.00 a night with four passes, and so if you have more than two children, you have to buy more passes which quickly adds up...if you aren't going to get in early enough to take excellent advantage of the waterpark, I don't think it would be worth the added expense.

At exit 61 you will have a McDonalds, Arby's, and Marco's pizza right johnny on the spot, and close by is a Chinese place and Q'Doba. Further into town are more of the usual fast food restaurants, but at exit 59, if memory serves, there is an Applebee's. The Target is a super Target so it has fresh produce, lunchmeats, dairy, and other groceries. Since we took picnic lunches everywhere this was nice and handy.

Book quickly!

We will be there for a night or two next week, thanks for all the info FaithManor!! As is often the case, the forum has provided answers for questions I hadn't even thought of yet.

Candmforever - I feel that way, too. Best of luck, and try to avoid crossing West Virginia!