Menu

Any BTDT advice/resources (x-post)

*Lulu*

for a child with high functioning autism who self injures when frustrated?

When Bug was smaller we would use a sitting holding restraint, (easy for me and reduced chance of him hurting himself or me), but now that he is getting taller I am having difficulty using this one.

I have made a note to speak to his OT about it on our next visit, but I wanted to pick the Hive's collective brain first. I eventually want him to move beyond him needing restraint into self-regulation but I recognize that age 7-8 is not when it's gonna happen.

Unfortunately, this is the age when we experienced the greatest uptick in regulation issues with Punk and I see signs of the same with Bug. Bug is verbal until he gets upset, frustrated, angry, or too excited. Then communication becomes more like guesswork and grunting.

Sorry for the ramble here; just looking for a way to make this maturation waiting period easier for everybody.

I have no suggestions, but I'm sorry he is struggling with that. I'm sure that's difficult for him AND you when he can't communicate and gets frustrated :(

:grouphug:

Chewy tube if they bite themselves es or gum if they can be trusted to spit it in the trash when done

My older son is a chewer and we have plenty of chewing stuff. Bug is a hitter and head banger, but I wonder if the stimulation of the chewing would help him when he is overwhelmed?