Menu

Chemistry vs General Chemistry by Chang

I'm trying to find a good reference text for my ds.  He will be studying Chemistry for 2 years using the NZ curriculum and related books, but I find that since the NZ market is so small, that the books are not detailed enough to use without a teacher.  It has been 20 years since I had any chemistry, so I will be relearning with him.  I would prefer to just buy 1 book if I can. 

The main difference (I think) between NZ chemistry courses and American, is that about 20% of both the first and second year classes is on organic chemistry, so I need a decent unit in which ever text I chose.  I can't tell from the samples whether the AP Chemistry text just assumes first year knowledge or still has a decent review of it so we could just use that book.

Please advise,

Ruth in NZ

My Essentials text has a chapter on "Synthetic and Natural Organic Polymers."  In addition to that chapter, the Chemistry text also has a chapter on organic chemistry which includes: classes of organic compounds, aliphatic hydrocarbons, aromatic hydrocarbons, and chemistry of functional groups.

I am not sure if that answers your question. 

• Like 2

Thanks, Lisa.  I think I'm going to get the Chemistry text.  I'm sure I can muddle through basic chem, I just think that the more advanced stuff is where we will need some extra references. 

The sticky at the top of the page says 9th edition, but there is a 12th edition available.  Am I looking at the right book?

http://www.amazon.com/Chemistry-11th-Raymond-Chang/dp/0073402680/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434572319&sr=8-1&keywords=Chemistry+chang

• Like 1

Thanks, Lisa.  I think I'm going to get the Chemistry text.  I'm sure I can muddle through basic chem, I just think that the more advanced stuff is where we will need some extra references. 

The sticky at the top of the page says 9th edition, but there is a 12th edition available.  Am I looking at the right book?

http://www.amazon.com/Chemistry-11th-Raymond-Chang/dp/0073402680/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434572319&sr=8-1&keywords=Chemistry+chang

That should be it, although I have the 9th edition and Chang is the only author.

You've seen Dr. Tang's site, right? I really need to bake and some cookies to that man. His videos were really helpful as well as his notes.

• Like 1

Wow!  that is awesome. I don't want to spend the $$ for the 11th edition, so was thinking about the 10th, glad to know the 9th is also good.  Now I'm looking for the solutions manual.  I just can't say if or how we are going to use this book next year.  There is a lot of memorizing required for the NZ exam, so we need to memorize the right stuff.  So we have to use the NZ book, but it is pretty thin and the explanations are short.  I can't tell how the books line up either.  sigh.  Kind of annoying.

I've been finding a bunch of sites saying that they have the solutions manual for free, is this a joke?  Or pirated?  Or are the older editions releasing the solutions manual?  The Chegg site looks pretty good.