Menu

Opine-ions Please

Based on the following list of learning preferences/styles, what curriculum or method (cm, classical, etc) would you suggest for average ds12(in Dec). Please indicate which preference/style you feel your suggestion relates to.

able to/allowed to move about freely

project learning

learning games

rules and predictability

memorization and repetition

given time to prepare for any discussions

gentle help to develop creativity and deeper thinking skills

lessons logically organized

long term projects

problem solving

brain storming

real books

a variety of types of resources

creative writing

new and creative curriculum presentation

to be personally valued and recognized in situations

repetition for detail and self discipline help 

Many thanks

Based on the following list of learning preferences/styles, what curriculum or method (cm, classical, etc) would you suggest for average ds12(in Dec). Please indicate which preference/style you feel your suggestion relates to.

able to/allowed to move about freely

project learning

learning games

rules and predictability

memorization and repetition

given time to prepare for any discussions

gentle help to develop creativity and deeper thinking skills

lessons logically organized

long term projects

problem solving

brain storming

real books

a variety of types of resources

creative writing

new and creative curriculum presentation

to be personally valued and recognized in situations

repetition for detail and self discipline help 

Many thanks

Is "opine-ions" meant to mean something other than "opinions?"

I'm sorry that I can't think of specific materials that meet your objectives, as most of them seem to me to be teacher-oriented. In other words, I don't see why you couldn't incorporate these needs and approaches with almost any set of books.

I was just trying to be creative with the topic in asking for people to state their opinions with the understanding from a quick definition search that opine is a verb meaning to hold or state an opinion while opinion is a noun. I thought it was good :thumbup1: but i guess not so much :thumbdown:.  Oh, well. :tongue_smilie:  :lol: 

Just my two cents but..... we do almost all of these things and the girls do alot of interest led studies. Example, right now dd14 is doing an in depth study on the Attack of Pearl Harbor. She has a dozen books and uses online sources as well. She will watch several documentaries and utilize any other sources she needs. Typically her interest in a specific study like this will last for about a month or so. Only rule is she has to have some sort of final project to teach the rest of us what she has learned. Same thing for dd11 who is studying Rome, (although she hasn't narrowed it down to specific topic yet). If your DS needs a specific schedule you would need to pull it all together but then that kind of takes away from the method we use. You dont really need a specific curriculum to do these things.

Now if you are wanting a specific curriculum there are alot that covered some of the things you have listed but nothing will cover them all. You could always look into unit studies as an option that may work.

I think it's more about how you implement the program than anything else for the majority of those things. I also think that the list is so broad and unfocused that I'm not sure what it means for a specific child. I don't think I have a picture of this child from that list. Plus, for many subjects, the level will make a difference - an "average" 12 yo could be ready for a few different math levels - and for others, the topics you'd like to cover will help determine it - do you want a particular historical period, a particular science subject, an integrated approach, a geography year instead of history, etc?

Just my two cents but..... we do almost all of these things and the girls do alot of interest led studies. Example, right now dd14 is doing an in depth study on the Attack of Pearl Harbor. She has a dozen books and uses online sources as well. She will watch several documentaries and utilize any other sources she needs. Typically her interest in a specific study like this will last for about a month or so. Only rule is she has to have some sort of final project to teach the rest of us what she has learned. Same thing for dd11 who is studying Rome, (although she hasn't narrowed it down to specific topic yet). If your DS needs a specific schedule you would need to pull it all together but then that kind of takes away from the method we use. You dont really need a specific curriculum to do these things.

Now if you are wanting a specific curriculum there are alot that covered some of the things you have listed but nothing will cover them all. You could always look into unit studies as an option that may work.

Sounds like something ds would probably really like to do. I plan on keeping this in mind. Thanks for the idea.

I think it's more about how you implement the program than anything else for the majority of those things. I also think that the list is so broad and unfocused that I'm not sure what it means for a specific child. I don't think I have a picture of this child from that list. Plus, for many subjects, the level will make a difference - an "average" 12 yo could be ready for a few different math levels - and for others, the topics you'd like to cover will help determine it - do you want a particular historical period, a particular science subject, an integrated approach, a geography year instead of history, etc?

Since it doesn't provide a clear picture, I guess the list won't generate as much as I thought. We are going into our 3rd year of homeschool. I have no personal experience with anything listed below. I would like for whatever I choose to develop ds' thinking skills and writing skills. Last year we used Rod and Staff 4 mostly orally which made me realize that ds needs to use grammar within a more structured writing approach to fully understand it. I don't want to start him back more than 1 grade level for morale reasons. I also wasn't sure how well any of it fits the list or if there could be better fits since the ones I know about are just a drop in the bucket. 

Initially, for Lang. Arts I was contemplating: Teaching the Classics, Building Spelling Skills 6, TWSS/SWI-B with Fix-It Grammar, Research in Increments and The Word Artist. After more research I've also been contemplating CS-Homer with the recommended grammar, Poetry for Beginners, Wordsmith Apprentice. Not really sure what to use or what combinations. 

For History I've been contemplating MFW Creation to the Greeks (incorporating THOWELL's idea if ds wants to delve deeper) using art, music, sci according to interest. I'm interested in covering Ancient History and really like that they incorporate the Bible/Biblical Worldview. In conjunction with MFW or THOWELL's idea, I've wondered about using Classical Historian: Take a Stand-Ancient TG which is about learning the socratic method to think critically about history and support the stand taken. Maybe that would be too much, IDK.

We plan to use a separate sci curric (NOEO CHEM 3). Math I was planning on Horizons 5 with manipulatives kit and Life of Fred for necessary breathers.