Menu

S/O What is Common Core Algebra?

I decided to come out of my expact bubble after reading the thread about Foerster, an EOC test, and the Common Core.

What is it about this entity called Common Core Algebra that we might be missing by using Foerster Algebra? Stastics and data analysis? Specific vocabulary?

Will looking at the EOC practice tests in the other thread enlighten me? Can I count on them being Common Core enough?

If you go to the official common core website you can see the list of the actual standards.

http://www.corestandards.org

unfortunately they are a little hard to see what standards belong to (or how) specific courses like Algebra 1

you may want to look for state standards that did this breakdown already

example look for "clarifications"

https://www.engageny.org/resource/regents-exams-mathematics

I decided to come out of my expact bubble after reading the thread about Foerster, an EOC test, and the Common Core.

What is it about this entity called Common Core Algebra that we might be missing by using Foerster Algebra? Stastics and data analysis? Specific vocabulary?

Will looking at the EOC practice tests in the other thread enlighten me? Can I count on them being Common Core enough?

Of course each state may have some differences but we successfully used other states EOC released material to prep for Arizona's first EOC exams (for my DS this was Algebra 2)

I even taught my son some material that his class had not covered yet because AZ gave the EOC exam 5 weeks before the actual end of course (don't get me started)

I do like the EOC exam concept.

• Like 1

OK, next dense question.  Now I am skimming through Algebra 1 EOC tests looking for problems that make me say Hmm, Foerster doesn't teach this.  Maybe we should work that in somewhere.

Where else can I look for such problems besides EOC tests?  I am not very good at reading standards.  I want to read problems :)

OK, next dense question.  Now I am skimming through Algebra 1 EOC tests looking for problems that make me say Hmm, Foerster doesn't teach this.  Maybe we should work that in somewhere.

Where else can I look for such problems besides EOC tests?  I am not very good at reading standards.  I want to read problems :)

you have to register but it is free

9th grade is Common Core Algebra 1 (etc)

http://greatminds.net/maps/math/module-pdfs

• Like 1