Menu

Feedback for BYU Online High School Classes

I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience with the online high school (not college independent study)  classes that BYU offers? I'm specifically interested in experience with the AP Biology and Physics classes. Any input would be welcome. Thanks!

My girls have taken about a dozen BYU high school courses.  As far as science goes, they have taken the regular biology and chemistry courses as well as Astronomy and Meteorology.  The biology and chem classes were great.  Astronomy and Meteorology were fine but easy.  Classes do vary in quality.  The biology, chemistry, and geometry classes were the best of all of the ones we've tried.  I've been disappointed with some of the math courses and I haven't finished any of the English courses because I don't think they are rigorous enough.  They've done all four semesters of Latin which were good.

You can sign up for the class and have 72 hours to look over the material and could withdraw in that time for a full refund I believe.

HTH

• Like 2

My girls have taken about a dozen BYU high school courses.  As far as science goes, they have taken the regular biology and chemistry courses as well as Astronomy and Meteorology.  The biology and chem classes were great.  Astronomy and Meteorology were fine but easy.  Classes do vary in quality.  The biology, chemistry, and geometry classes were the best of all of the ones we've tried.  I've been disappointed with some of the math courses and I haven't finished any of the English courses because I don't think they are rigorous enough.  They've done all four semesters of Latin which were good.

You can sign up for the class and have 72 hours to look over the material and could withdraw in that time for a full refund I believe.

HTH

Did your girls have easy access to the teacher for questions? Did they do paper, online, or teacher-led? Thanks!

My girls have only done the paper version.  I have worked through most of the material alongside them.  I used the curriculum so I didn't have to come up with my own for those subjects.  I have explained a few concepts they found difficult and so I have essentially been the teacher.  The exams are proctored though. so obviously the girls are on their own for those, but I have used the classes to help them prepare for finals and figure out how to guess what will be on the exams and learn how to study for them.  

I do have a friend who used the teacher-led Spanish I this year.  There was a language chat room to practice and then they had regular sessions with the teacher to practice conversation.  The teacher-led option is fairly new so it wasn't even an option for most of the classes we've taken and it is quite a bit more expensive.  The girls did the science and language classes together, so it wasn't that big a deal for me to keep up with them since I was working with 3 of my kids together.

Next year we are actually venturing into two university level courses - American Heritage and Freshman English.  My youngest is deciding between high school BYU trig or the university level version as well. 

• Like 2

My oldest is finishing his second year of BYU's online high school, but he hasn't taken either of those classes.  He would have done AP Bio this year, but we decided to have him wait a year so he could take the college level course next year.

He's mostly done online courses.  He didn't really like the teacher-led courses, but I think they can be a good option and that's the best way to have access to the teacher.  You're largely on your own with the online classes which may or may not be a good thing for different students.  

All tests must be mailed and proctored which has been a major hassle for us, but that would depend on where you live.

My son has worked almost entirely independently on these classes.  He's planning on continuing through 11th and 12th grades and doing as many college level courses as possible rather than the AP courses.

• Like 1