Menu

Fat Free Pizza

Here's the best and simplest pizza recipe I've been able to find. The recipe for the dough is the Calzone dough from one of the Jo Stepaniak's books. The sauce recipe if from FatFree.com. I've adjusted both to our own tastes.

Pizza Sauce

1 6-oz. can tomato paste

2 8-oz. cans tomato sauce

2 tsp. anise seeds, freshly ground (use mortar and pestle)

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. oregano (I use Mexican oregano from Walmart's Hispanic section. Sort for rocks and rub between palms to crumble.)

1 tsp. Italian seasonings

1 tsp. chopped parsley

crushed red pepper to taste

1 tbsp. or so of sugar

Grind the anise seeds. Mix it all together and simmer until flavors meld together.

Crust

Whisk:

3 c. bread flour (I use King Arthur)

1/2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. sugar (not liquid of any kind)

Pour about 1 1/2 c. warm water into bread machine. (I spray mine with Pam.) You will have to experiment with the amount of water, but you can tell when you've got it because the 'ball' of dough will be smooth and slightly sticky to the touch.

Dump flour mixture on top.

Put 1 tsp. rapid rise yeast on top of flour.

Run on "Quick Dough" setting (about 45 min on my Zo) and when beeps, turn machine off and let sit in machine until dough rises just above top of breadpan. Mine takes up to another hour or so.

To assemble, sprinkle pizza pan (cheap alum. pan from Wal Mart) with semolina flour (no oil on pan or in pizza) and mash out dough to edges of pan. Spread with pizza sauce and top with veggies.

I cook mine about 20 - 35 min. at 400 degrees. I take it out and look at the center of the crust. If still soggy, return to oven and cook some more.

You don't need any oil/fat whatsoever in this pizza.

For toppings, we saute onions, garlic cloves. Throw on some bell peppers, broccoli, drained artichokes (no oil), olives, pineapple tidbits, frozen spinach (thaw and squeeze out with your hands), etc. You can even make up a dessert pizza with this crust recipe.

Enjoy!

Well, we've gotten used to pizza without cheese, but if we want cheese, I use one of the various vegan cheese recipes floating around out there. I esp. like the one for grilled cheese sandwiches, which I don't have here at the library with me. Maybe next time ...