Menu

Graphic Novels

Do any of you utilize graphic novels in your homeschooling?

We are doing a world lit class next year, and there are some pretty intimidating (length-wise) novels on the list. I was thinking about using The Complete Don Quixote which is a graphic novel of the classic. It has gotten some pretty decent reviews, and I thought the different format might be a nice change of pace.

Here is a link to the book I am looking at...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15842699-the-complete-don-quixote

Has anyone used this? Thoughts?

Thanks,

:) Beachy

• Like 1

We've used a few, though not that one...

My DD and I read an adaptation of the Divine Comedy by Seymour Chwast that was pretty interesting, though it'd be worth pairing it with at least an excerpt of the real thing. And we've read some kid's comic versions of Canterbury Tales and Shakespeare when we didn't have time to spend on the entire work. Also, she liked Pride and Prejudice so much I bought her a comic version. I'd only use something like that if the important thing to you was a brief overview of the plot, not actually the literature itself.

My daughter's also read "Maus" and "Maus II" which she really really liked.

Also Persepolis- about a girl in modern Iran.

Those last two are different in that they are not comic adaptations of some other novel, but are the literature itself.

My daughter read Maus, Maus II, and Persepolis (the same three works Momling mentioned above) to augment her modern history studies.  She also read Fax from Sarajevo by Joe Kubert.

I think a graphic novel would be a fine way of getting the flavor of a work, but it would not then be correct for your students to claim to have read the Don Quixote.  When my daughter was an eighth grader and she was studying the medieval time period, I had her read The Adventures of Don Quixote de la Mancha by Miguel de Cervantes (adapted by Leighton Barret); I suspect she would  have far preferred the Rob Davis version you linked above!

Regards,

Kareni