Menu

Bookshark science reviews

alicai

I think I've settled on trying Bookshark next year for history and possibly science. I've been eyeing Sonlight for years because I'm a fan of the literature-based approach but I just could never pull the trigger on it because of the amount I thought I would have to modify.

In past years (pre-Bookshark), I had read that Sonlight science wasn't very rigorous and was kind of all over the place. Then I recall hearing they had revamped it and have recently heard some very positive outcomes for kids using it. I know Bookshark hasn't been out long but I would really love to hear some input from those who have used their version of the science program.

Also, if you feel like chiming in, what level would you put a 9.5 and 7yo in? I'm looking at 2nd grade/Year 2 World History although even the advanced readers seem light for DD9, but I'm afraid that Year 3/American History might be too heavy. I've heard a lot of "stick to the younger end of the age range".

I think I've settled on trying Bookshark next year for history and possibly science. I've been eyeing Sonlight for years because I'm a fan of the literature-based approach but I just could never pull the trigger on it because of the amount I thought I would have to modify.

In past years (pre-Bookshark), I had read that Sonlight science wasn't very rigorous and was kind of all over the place. Then I recall hearing they had revamped it and have recently heard some very positive outcomes for kids using it. I know Bookshark hasn't been out long but I would really love to hear some input from those who have used their version of the science program.

Also, if you feel like chiming in, what level would you put a 9.5 and 7yo in? I'm looking at 2nd grade/Year 2 World History although even the advanced readers seem light for DD9, but I'm afraid that Year 3/American History might be too heavy. I've heard a lot of "stick to the younger end of the age range".

Hmmm....I think I've always heard the opposite...to stick to the high end of the age range.  For example...Grade 4 has an age range of 9 - 12.  I'm using it this year with my 5th grader who is 11.  Grade 2 has the age range of 7 - 9, and I think that would be a good fit, especially if you are thinking of combining them together.  Next year when/if you do Grade 3 that age range is 8 - 11 so she'll fit right in there.  I'm not sure I'd worry too much if the advanced readers seem light.  They are good book choices....has she read any of them yet?  If not, then it would be a shame for her to miss out on them.  

I'm not much help with the science.  If my daughter were a little younger she'd probably be ok with the science, but she really doesn't like the Discover and Do DVD's anymore.  

Another option for lit based science is The History of Science by Beautiful Feet (although it might not be secular...don't know if that matters to you or not).  

That's what I meant, but said it backwards :) BatmansWife, how have you enjoyed Bookshark this year?

We love the history  :001_wub: .  The LA we found too advanced for my daughter.  I'm not surprised that she is a bit behind in this subject because she was slow to learn to read so we hadn't really focused too much on writing and spelling.  BkSk is scheduled for 4 days a week.  Days 2-4 are all writing (at least in Grade 4).  She isn't at the level of the writing they expect her to be at.  So, if she struggled with lesson 1, I figured all the other lessons weren't going to be all that great for her either.  So, we had to quit the LA   :crying: .  And, again, my daughter doesn't like the Discover and Do DVD's anymore (she didn't mind them when she was a little younger).  So, that put a damper on the science for her.   :banghead:   So, we are doing something else for science now too.  As you can see...lots of mixed emotions about it.  From here on out we'll probably only be ordering the Reading with History.  I really do want to stick with that...the literature approach to history is what drew us to BkSk in the first place (last year we did Beautiful Feet and really loved that too).   

I'm really only looking at it for Reading with History so that's good to hear :) LA is a tricky area for us as well. DD9 is a copious reader with beautiful handwriting but hates to write. TC has been good for her this year. DD6 (almost 7) avoids reading but wouldn't mind writing if she could get past how difficult handwriting is for her. Le sigh.