Menu

Latin for New Millenium vs Wheelocks

Can anyone compare these two? We enjoyed Henle, and Latin for a New Millenium looks quite interesting. I own Wheelock, so we were considering using that, but now I'm not sure.

DS12 has done about 40% of Henle, Latin Prep 3 (or maybe it was the SYRWTLL 3-whichever was the middle grade one...), and a semester of Lone Pine. He also took the NLE and got a gold. It has been one year since he studied Latin so he will need review. Which book of Latin for New M would he begin with? I am thinking the 2nd book.

I can only speak from our experience, but I have owned Henle, Wheelock, and LNM.  Oldest DD worked through Henle 1 (didn't like it).  We looked at Wheelock and LNM, and she chose LNM hands down.  She was turned off by Wheelock and thoroughly enjoyed LNM.  All three of my kids now have enjoyed LNM.

In terms of the right text, I would think LNM 2 would be a good fit.   I can look up information in my books, too, if you have any level specific questions I can answer.

I don't know what the long term goal is, but this program definitely prepares students to excel on SAT 2 Latin and prepares them well for AP level course work.

• Like 1

We love LNM, but I can't compare it to anything else. I have discovered that Level One does not match up with the NLE as well as I would have liked. However, it looks like by Level Two it does. It is just that the order of this presented is somewhat out of sync in Level One.

I think you are looking at Level Two, so it should not matter.

Disclaimer: I outsource Latin, but study along.

Penguin, where do you outsource Latin that uses LNM? I know of TPS and Harvey Center. Is it one of those or is there somplace else?

I love LNM. It is just so beautiful, and I like how the cultural background is interwoven, and all the wonderful pictures. The layout is very clean and uncluttered. It's been great for us (Level 1 -- haven't started Level 2 yet). The biggest downside IMO is the cost. It is quite expensive.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone compare these two? We enjoyed Henle, and Latin for a New Millenium looks quite interesting. I own Wheelock, so we were considering using that, but now I'm not sure.

DS12 has done about 40% of Henle, Latin Prep 3 (or maybe it was the SYRWTLL 3-whichever was the middle grade one...), and a semester of Lone Pine. He also took the NLE and got a gold. It has been one year since he studied Latin so he will need review. Which book of Latin for New M would he begin with? I am thinking the 2nd book.

Hi, Halcyon, 

I just saw this subject line and thought I should respond. I homeschooled my sons with Wheelock's over a 20 year period, and now have been a Latin teacher for about 18 years. For most of that time I taught using Wheelock's Latin. I love it and studied it at UNCC with Dr. Grote many years ago. He gave me such a love for the language, so I was swept right into teaching homeschool groups. Then in 2014 we switched in our online classes to LNM, because it has lots of easier practice exercises and sentences, and--as you have pointed out--it is just so beautiful. It is just as challenging a course as Wheelock's, but I like the variety of Latin passages it has the kids translate. So at the Harvey Center we teach using the best materials we have found over the years, using recorded video tutorials, along with our live sessions. Dr. Grote even helps us tutor online now, as well as still teaching at the university.

But to answer about the issue of which to use as a homeschooler: Wheelock's is a great resource for any mom who will work with their students. There are SO many helps online for it, and it is simply a classic! It is very rich with information about the language and the grammar concepts. This great quality of it is the only thing that makes it so hard for younger students to use. It has all of the info a hungry adult mind wants about the language--too much and too deep for younger students! lol

And Wheelock's is a very affordable approach.  LNM is very expensive, but if you use online tutors, then you don't have to buy the TM. :)

I'll be happy to answer any other questions, but there are old posts here in which I detail many helpful hints about Wheelock's.

• Like 1

Hi, 

I found Beth's posts last year about LNM, and while I couldn't splurge for her online course, my daughter (14) and I did enjoy using LNM I this year. The books are beautiful, and the teacher manual has answers to the exercises in addition to many interesting side notes. I think a student with previous exposure to Latin (my daughter had worked through Lively Latin 1 and 2) could do well with it for high school without it seeming redundant. We used the book, Teacher manual, and the workbook with answer book. I did the lessons with my daughter; I wouldn't consider it a self-teaching course.

I think if you could afford the course, having the extra support would be great, especially if you will be going on to higher levels. LNM I is doable at home, but I would think LNM II would be better in a class (online or dual enrollment at the CC).

Regards,

Debbie 

• Like 1

Yes, Debbie!

I'm glad you mentioned this about the TMs -- they are very well done!  So  many nice extras in them. And you are so right, even if a student has studied something such as First Form or Lively Latin, they will still be learning lots of new material in LNM I.  There are a few concepts in there that many texts don't cover until Latin II, and there is a lot of conversational Latin you won't find anywhere else.  Not to mention all of the new vocabulary that they are bound to find.

...the teacher manual has answers to the exercises in addition to many interesting side notes. I think a student with previous exposure to Latin (my daughter had worked through Lively Latin 1 and 2) could do well with it for high school without it seeming redundant. We used the book, Teacher manual, and the workbook with answer book. I did the lessons with my daughter; I wouldn't consider it a self-teaching course.