Menu

Spanish with Ray Leven, or just Ray Leven's text?

I have seen quite a few very positive reviews of Ray Leven's Spanish classes, but the sticker price is hard to swallow. 

Considering my DS is not fond of the Spanish learning he's done so far (some in 7th at PS, a bit more in 8th with me), I have somewhat viewed it as a box to check - but, on the other hand, I'd rather have him get far enough in high school that he can test out of college requirements and be done with it.

I looked briefly at Descubre 2014 (the program Leven uses) and wonder, with all its bells and whistles and online supplements, would it be sufficient to use just that on our own without paying for the class too?

Then there's the "third hand" - maybe DS needs an engaging, demanding teacher like Leven to boost his effort and performance.  I doubt he'd take it seriously enough to make testing out a possibility if it were just the two of us....  And $750 per year now would be less than he'd have to pay to repeat much of the material in college Spanish....

Sigh.  Round and round I go.

Any thoughts?

I'm one who is vocal in my support of Mr. Leven.  I do NOT think my son could have mastered the material with just the text.  Mr. Leven uses that hour very efficiently.  Plus there is very quick response to emailed questions, assignments, etc, during the week.  My son started Spanish 1 as an 8th grader as a "box to check that meant he didn't have to take Latin like mom wanted."  He finishes Honors Spanish 2 tomorrow and is looking forward to Honors Spanish 3 next year, despite the fact that as of now the required Spanish boxes are checked.  He loves the class!  It is a LOT of work by now, but he has really thrived, become a better student overall, and has developed pride in his work both in Spanish and in other subjects.  

• Like 3

I'm one who is vocal in my support of Mr. Leven.  I do NOT think my son could have mastered the material with just the text.  Mr. Leven uses that hour very efficiently.  Plus there is very quick response to emailed questions, assignments, etc, during the week.  My son started Spanish 1 as an 8th grader as a "box to check that meant he didn't have to take Latin like mom wanted."  He finishes Honors Spanish 2 tomorrow and is looking forward to Honors Spanish 3 next year, despite the fact that as of now the required Spanish boxes are checked.  He loves the class!  It is a LOT of work by now, but he has really thrived, become a better student overall, and has developed pride in his work both in Spanish and in other subjects.  

Wow, that's quite the ringing endorsement!  :) 

Thank you so much for weighing in.  I really appreciate the input.

Well, at one point I thought Mr. Leven should give me a commission (JK - kinda).  It is a lot of work, although in a previous discussion it has been noted that Mr. Leven isn't about grades.  There aren't tests.  He says on Day 1 of Spanish 1 that coming to class prepared, on time, and actually trying are a large portion of your grade.  The Vista site isn't even part of the grade per se.  He looks at the students scores and to make sure they are doing it, but he really considers it review/homework.  Only if the students aren't doing the work does he really count it (and become frustrated).  Long about Nov/Dec of Spanish 1 he starts adding homework assignments of his own.  In Spanish 2 these include translations, writing sentences, writing dialogue, prepared speeches (notes only, you may not write it in Spanish), and a variety of other things.  

He is also very understanding of homeschoolers schedules and vacations.  He just likes to be told.

• Like 2

Well, at one point I thought Mr. Leven should give me a commission (JK - kinda).  It is a lot of work, although in a previous discussion it has been noted that Mr. Leven isn't about grades.  There aren't tests.  He says on Day 1 of Spanish 1 that coming to class prepared, on time, and actually trying are a large portion of your grade.  The Vista site isn't even part of the grade per se.  He looks at the students scores and to make sure they are doing it, but he really considers it review/homework.  Only if the students aren't doing the work does he really count it (and become frustrated).  Long about Nov/Dec of Spanish 1 he starts adding homework assignments of his own.  In Spanish 2 these include translations, writing sentences, writing dialogue, prepared speeches (notes only, you may not write it in Spanish), and a variety of other things.  

He is also very understanding of homeschoolers schedules and vacations.  He just likes to be told.

This is all very good and useful information.  Thanks again.

Ray encourages the kids to own the material and to be responsible for their work. My son says he can't imagine really getting very far without the conversational component and the work with Ray.

I have met four AP teachers in person that have taught AP for ten years or more. It's almost weird the similarities in their personalities. They have reasonable, but challenging expectations. They really care if the student learns the material, IF the student cares that they learn the material. They expect the student to be responsible and they are treated as responsible, reasonable young people. If you slide in the responsibility area without a legitimate excuse, prepare to be lightly roasted. Ray fits in there quite nicely.

• Like 1