Menu

Bible Stories for Little Children by Meredith Jones 1871

arliemaria

We've been using this resource slowly for the past month.  We've read the first six stories.  We skipped Lot Fleeing From Sodom.  I wasn't sure how to talk about that story yet.  I am positivie we will cover it at some point as he grows, but wasn't ready to go into that story.  We simply read the short story in the text.  Later usually read it in another bible reader or my husband will read it from the KJV.  Then during quiet times (screen time the past month while I was sick and great with child) we would watch a video covering that story.  I really like Rabbit Ears Entertainment videos.  We have watched The Creation, Noah and the Ark, Joseph and His Brothers, and Moses in Egypt.  Usually a few days afer we've talked about the story and watched a video I would have him sit down with a piece of blank white printer paper and ask him to draw everything and anything he can remember from the story.  After he has completed his drawing he brings it to me and as he is describing his picture I write down his narration next to the images.  We have five pages illustrated so far.  I got the idea for the illustrations/narration from Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum by Laura M. Berquist and found the text from Hunter's Public Domain Curriculum.

Anyone else using either Berquist's suggestion for religion or Bible Stories for Little Children?

• Like 1

I also skipped Cities of Refuge this week and went on to Samson.  I showed him the sculpture by Stati http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/artwork/146875 of Samson tearing the lion into two.  For the most part, the text Bible Stories for Little Children is my lesson opener and then we do lots of other texts usually including the The Children's Bible by Golden Press and supplemental videos.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to get back to this after baby Vivi's birth.  We have read Ruth many times now and I'll say something about Ruth and my son will ask, "Who's Ruth?"  I haven't had him do an illustrated narration yet, because I don't feel he knows Ruth and Boaz yet.  We are going to hang out with this story a bit longer until he has internalized it more.  Any videos or story books to recommend on Ruth?

• 2 weeks later...

I think he finally was able to internalize Ruth.  He did his illustrated narration and I was glad to move on to the next story.  The next morning my husband asked our son upon waking if he had any dreams  Robby responded yes I did.  He said he dreamt about a prophet of God.  When we asked him whom he responded Ruth.  I think he might actually be getting it after all.

Today we did The Call of Samuel.  We read the small section in Bible Stories for Little Children and then watched the Moody Bible Institute's short video and finally read the story in the The Golden Children's Bible.  I think these old Moody videos are actually pretty good.  Here is the one on the child Samuel: