Menu

Additional Latin Practice

Paula in MS

We are using Latin Alive  for latin and really like the layout, but I am finding that my daughter needs extra Latin practice.  She can go through the exercises fairly quickly because they are short, but there is not enough practice to really make it stick well before the next topic.  Does anyone have a resource for extra translation practice?  She is in book 1.  Also, how do your Latin students study their Latin to help them retain the information?  Thank you !

I guess the main problem is that we are having to move slower through the book than anticipated.  She can have all the lessons in the chapter finished pretty quickly but still need more practice.  For example, we might take 2 weeks for a chapter, but she has finished the lessons in 2 days because they are really pretty short.  After that is finished, I'm not sure what else to do besides flashcards.  We do some conjugation and declension worksheets, but what else can we do to have more practice per chapter without moving on to the next new topic?  It is just a lot to remember.  We are only 10 chapters in and have covered 4 verb tenses and all the noun cases except for genitive.  I feel like hanging out here for a while.  I'm just not sure what to do to fill the time.  Is there another Latin text that would work well with Latin Alive that would provide more practice?  

My DD sailed through the first part too. Instead of just drill DD rewatches each lesson several times, repeating the vocabulary after the teacher, and skipping the lesson parts she feels she has mastered. Later lessons did spread out more, and they reinforced those other lessons, so we just kept plugging ahead.

You could look for Latin readers for extra practice. There are some free vintage ones out there. Cambridge is more whole to parts and has lots of reading practice, or Bolchazy made one to go with Wheelock's.

Thanks.  I guess we need to just keep pushing ahead, too.  My biggest concern is that she tends to just glance at the sentence and intuitively can tell me what it's about, but I need her to be able to slow down and think through it.  Maybe we should just finish the book and then maybe supplement a little before we go into book 2.