Menu

Ideas for mid-atlantic educational vacation planning

Momling

Local 8th graders in our town take a trip to Washington DC.  I'm planning to do the same (only much better) with my 13 year old daughter.  We have two weeks in late August and besides Washington DC, I want to make sure to get to New York City for a few days, to Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown, and to other historical sites like Gettysburg, Harpers Ferry, Antietam and Valley Forge.  It looks cheapest for us to fly to Philadelphia, so I'll also want to explore there too. I'll rent a car for part of the trip, but have no desire to drive and park in cities.  I've requested tickets from my senator for the white house tour, etc...  

I'm only in the very beginning stages of planning, so any ideas are welcome. 

I word of caution. My father did this last year with his wife and 2 youngest (13 and 11 currently). It is a lot and that is even with a bit of rest at his eldest (me) house. Dad said he needed a vacation when he got back home. :laugh:  So plan on it being a tiresome vacation if you even attempt to "do it all". Even little places like I took my father to Hyde Park, NY to see FDR's place. We could have easily spent all day there. We didn't, but you can easily do so. So keep that in mind. 

As far as going into NYC you can take a commuter train to NYC but realize you will have to pay for parking. Also realize the train schedule coming back. They don't run 24/7. Close, but not quite. You can park for multiple days at a train station though. This is often done here in NJ as we have the "air train" that connects the train to Newark... though honestly it also connects to Philly airport too... it just is harder to get there.  :laugh:

If I were you I would make a list of the things you HAVE to do and plan around that. I have lived out here for 20 years and I am not even close to seeing all that there is to see, even having visited Hyde Park twice.  :laugh:

If I had one suggestion though it would be to get a Passport to Your National Parks. I have the basic one and I love it! It is a ton of fun to collect the stamps for it. http://www.eparks.com/store/product/22515/Passport®-To-Your-National-Parks/They should also sell them at the gift shops at all the national parks. The stamps are always in the park gift shop and are always free. :) So it is a fun thing to do if you are going to go to a lot of national parks. 

Have fun!