Menu

Changing courses on final transcript

DC is accepted and we've paid the college deposit.  Test scores are far above the school's average (not a highly selective school and not Common App).  The mid-year transcript submitted with the application showed progress through the first semester, with a year-long AP course already half-done and a second AP course planned for the second semester.  Along with previous AP scores (all fives), the test section of our transcript showed "pending" for the two planned AP courses senior year.  Now, as the year comes to an end, we realize that taking the second AP course was far too ambitious.  Given the work already put in, we've decided to downgrade the course title and description to on-level and skip the AP exam.  DC will still take the exam for the year-long AP course -- the one for which a grade was reported for first semester.  I'm hoping this change won't present a problem, though DC is applying to an honors program.  It may mean a half-credit less in the total sum, but DC has plenty of credits. 

How have others handled similar situations on final transcripts?  What kinds of changes have you made, and how did it work out?

On a related note -- hoping it doesn't apply to us -- how do schools consider "senior slumps" in final transcripts for admitted students?

I don't know but we are in a similar situation. We've paid the deposit, the housing deposit, and accepted the scholarship offer but..

Ds dropped an AP class midyear (although he got an A for the first semester) and didn't take another one he had planned. He burned out his first semester and considered the options of cutting back or graduating early. He decided to cut back so he could still finish one AP and graduate with 4 math credits. I did talk to the admissions counselor at the college he plans to attend before we did the schedule change. She told me the AP Chem he wasn't taking in the spring wasn't a problem because he already had 3 credits of science (their required number). I didn't ask about the AP Stats he dropped because he added trig in its place. He will still have 4 credits of math, so I don't think that one will matter.

I'm a little nervous about turning in his final transcript, but he does still meet all the colleges admissions requirements. His ACT scores are about top 10% of this school and he got their top automatic scholarship (GPA + ACT), but no competitive scholarships which might have hinged on his senior year being all that was planned. The school is an LAC that is just slightly more selective than State U's. I keep telling myself it won't be an issue, but I will feel better when it is in and he is still in too :).

• Like 1