Menu

Math Their Way Curriculum?

pjssully

WOW! Talk about a flashback to the past!

My mother used the curriculum in the 1980s with a class of 1st and 2nd grade high-functioning MR students--those who weren't capable enough to be mainstreamed but had speech, toilet training, etc.

It took enormous amounts of work to implement. She spent an entire summer building games for the program. For her, it was very successful, but I think more of that has to do with my mom's math abilities than any program. :-) The sheer amount of WORK that goes into preparing for it would eliminate it as a program for me if I had to prepare each year every year.

Seriously, take a look at RightStart. It is great for both struggling students, by laying out things in a way they can grasp, and gifted ones, by providing much more challenging content than in a normal sequence.

in the late '80s. I used it more as a supplement to our workbook curriculum. When I began HSing I used bits & pieces of Math Their Way, but never the full program.

For a dc that struggles with maths, I would recommend MUS. We've had great results with MUS as it sticks on a topic long enough for mastery. We had a lot of trouble with Saxon (even using the DIVE cd-roms), as it changed topics every lesson.

JMHO,

Oh my goodness. I was just looking at their website! I taught using this method many, many moons ago. It is a great program. Like pp mentioned it does require a lot of prep time to put together but I found it to be a very rich, hands on program.

I also heard of Math Bridges. My dd used this in 1rst grade and seemed like a good program as well.