Menu

BJU Earth (or Space & Earth) Science -- can anyone compare 2nd & 3rd editions for me?

My girls are using BJU Life Science 2nd edition this year, and it has worked VERY well for them. They all say that science is their favorite subject. :) I am planning for next year, and I am thinking about continuing with BJU. Since 2nd edition worked so well (and was so VERY affordable), would it be good to continue on with BJU Earth Science 2nd edition? Or should I consider 3rd edition Space & Earth Science instead? (The current 4th edition Earth Science is very likely to be much too expensive for us.)

DISCLAIMER: For what it's worth, we would be concentrating on the Space chapters and the Oceanography chapters and will likely skip the Geology and Meteorology chapters altogether because just last year we did all of the Earth Science lessons from the Apologia General Science and Physical Science books. We still have those books, and if necessary, we could use the Space and Oceanography modules interspersed with the BJU materials.

Hi!

Sorry, I just noticed your post.

If I recall it well, the new edition is a better fit for Middle School Students and was the former edition considered Highschool level. There should be posts in the archive from OhElizabeth comparing the two if I recall it correctly.

As Earth and Space science is the geography topic during grade 11/12 in Belgium, I bought the former edition on purpose...

I haven't use it yet though.

Not sure this is a great help...

ETA: I own the 3rd edition, the 'new' is 4th in this context

• Like 1

Hi!

Sorry, I just noticed your post.

If I recall it well, the new edition is a better fit for Middle School Students and was the former edition considered Highschool level. There should be posts in the archive from OhElizabeth comparing the two if I recall it correctly.

As Earth and Space science is the geography topic during grade 11/12 in Belgium, I bought the former edition on purpose...

I haven't use it yet though.

Not sure this is a great help...

ETA: I own the 3rd edition, the 'new' is 4th in this context

Thanks! I doubt we will be able to afford the 4th edition, so I'm looking mostly at the 2nd and 3rd editions. I'm hoping someone can tell me how they compare in content as well as difficulty. We've had a good year this year with 2nd edition Life Science, so I'm wondering whether the 2nd edition Earth Science is comparable.

I hear that 3rd edition is difficult reading, BUT it's called SPACE AND Earth Science, and our focus will be Space since we did Geology/Meteorology last year using a combination of Apologia General & Apologia Physical. What to do, what to do??!?