Menu

Algebra 1 - Dolciani, AoPs - should I spread it 2 years? xpost

Hi there! (crosspost in Logic Stages...)

My 7th grade DS is currently using Dolciani Algebra I.  Pre-algebra we did Dolciani Pre-A (as AoPs Pre-Alg sent my math-loving kid into fits)

Fast forward... we had to take a break from our pace with Dolciani due to MathCounts - practicing for that for months. Now he really wants to jump to AoPs.

1. I wonder - should we just continue with Dolciani - as it is really strong practice for him and has served him really well, and plow forward to the end. And then consider maybe doing some AoPs Algebra I into next year (8th grade)? Double up the Algebra I? Take 1 1/2 - 2 years for Algebra I - maybe while working with AoPs Alg I (which may seem more review-ish depending on scope and similarity of texts) - we could then complete RightStart Geometry all ahead of 9th grade.

2. Or just complete Dolciani through - and move onto the next step?

3. Or jump ship to AoPs Algebra for the remainder of Alg I? 

Please help with your thoughts.

He's an avidly mathy kid - but there's no way after our few month break from Dolciani to complete even that text now this year - so we're already pushing into next year for Alg I (8th grade)... what should I do? I'm one who likes to finish things through, and besides, it's so hard to switch midway through texts, as usually the scope is in nowhere near the same order!

Help!! :-)

Hi Mirabillis,

I didn't notice your post at first.  Based on the detail you've provided here I recommend you complete Dolciani which is really solid Algebra.  That is your inclination anyway which I think is correct.  

Then after Dolciani there are a number of ways to fill out a second year of Algebra including more rigorous problems from AoPS Intro to Algebra.  Having a firm foundation in Dolciani will really prepare him well for more challenge to follow.  The only thing I would caution on is to not spend too much time of the areas he has already mastered.  Maybe move through to the more difficult problems and even consider skipping certain sections which may be overly redundant.  You will have to gauge that with him.  AoPS will challenge anyone regardless of how much Algebra they have taken.   

Doing some pre-Geometry would be fine as well.  Much will depend on where you plan for him to go next in 9th grade.  In our case we were planning of doing pre-geometry before starting Jurgensen Geometry at WHA.  However after AoPS Intro to Algebra (1-13) ds13 needed more time reviewing Algebraic principles over the Summer.  So instead we went right into full Geometry this past Fall and it worked out wonderfully.  Having solid Algebra and problem solving skills has been key to Geometry success for him.  The fact that we skipped pre-geometry hasn't effected his progress at all.  That's not to say it wouldn't provide enrichment.  It just wasn't necessary in our case.