Menu

The writer's jungle

kimocha

I am torn between getting the writer's jungle or not. We have been doing things like copy work, dictation, free writes, and even poetry time (although not with a tea) for years. So I don't need someone to encourage me to continue these activities. I need guidance on how to take a free write through rewrite to a published copy. I get stuck on just fixing grammar. And when asked the kids have nothing they would add or change about their piece of writing. Will TWJ give me ideas on how to guide this prosess? Would it be worth the cost? Or is there somewhere else I could find help with the writing project prosess?

Yes, the Writer's Jungle will help guide you through this process. I think it is on the expensive side, but well worth it if it helps improve writing at our home like it did at mine.

If you don't think you can do it on your own another choice (more expensive) is doing Brave Writer's Kidwriter Basic which is basically the Writer's Jungle as an online family class with the parent as the student and teaching you how to implement TWJ.

I don't have alternative suggestions.

TWJ separates the revision and editing processes specifically so you don't get stuck on spelling and grammar. Most of the book is not about copywork, dictation and poetry tea. Those are only setting the stage for an environment that can encourage and assist with writing. The meat of TWJ is in selecting topics, revising, editing, finding a writer's voice, and growing a writer (and more). I think it is a very worthwhile read.

You can buy the digital version of TWJ at Homeschool Buyers Coop for half price:

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/brave-writer/?source=130827

• Like 5

I think the price tag is way too high for what it is, even at the HSBC price. I think she would have been much better off hiring an editor and publishing it as a book. I've definitely found it useful in learning to help my children revise, but I also find the book very unwieldy. 

• Like 4