Menu

He's strongly YE in how he presents that issue as it comes up, but his emphasis is on the science. So the YE is not overwhelming IMHO. More situational in his explanations.

We are creationist, but I've always told mine that the primary issue for me is who created our world and who remains in charge.  When and how is tough to nail down given limited information in the Bible and conflicting evidence that we can see today.  It's good to look at all sides IMHO and respect where solid science has been done.

We use the BJUP books, and are fine with them. They are indeed in-your-face, but the technical information is very well presented there. 

• Like 2

I would agree with that assessment. We are OE Christians and in your face YE really bothers me. DIVE doesn't bother me. He is YE, but the topic is rarely mentioned, why would it be? Unlike BJU, he isn't constantly looking for opportunities to push a YE agenda. OTOH he is very strongly Christian and will look for opportunities to point out how science reflects the character of God. 

I have used DIVE for ICP, Biology, and now Chemistry with my dd. She really does well with it. For ICP I used the PH Physical Science Concepts in Action text that he has a syllabus for on the site. He actually created the syllabus for me. The first semester lines up really well, but the second semester doesn't. For Biology I used Miller/Levine. I created my own syllabus and that worked perfectly. For Chemistry we are using BJU. I couldn't have done more than 1 year of BJU. Their science is solid, but they are far too in your face YE for me and I just can't take it. I thought Chemistry, having nothing to do with earth age wouldn't be too bad. It was bad in the first couple of chapters, then settled down as it got deeper into concepts. It does align really well with the DIVE lectures which is nice. I say all of that to say, use a textbook that you are comfortable with. If you are not YE, I probably would NOT use BJU for Biology in particular. DIVE really isn't hard to align with any textbook that covers the subject matter solidly.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know how Abeka compares with BJU as far as the YE agenda. Could Abeka work if you are OE or is the YE content about the same as BJU?

Abeka is as bad, or worse than BJU as far as the YE agenda, but with about half the actual science content of BJU (IMHO).