Menu

Did you see this? Class120

regentrude

There seems to be a trend to thinking that collecting information will solve problems.  So, a student skips class and misses the important material presented that day.  He gets a notification saying he missed class.  What good does that do?  His parents get a notification that he missed class.  What good does that do?  

As a parent what would I do with information that my child missed his college class this morning?  Drive several hours tomorrow morning to wake him up, get him dressed, and walk him to class?  Simply call him and telling him the importance of going to class?  (Haven't I already told him that--why will it make a difference to say it again?)  

I feel incredibly sorry for today's college student.

Thirty years ago I had to stand in line for the one pay phone to talk to my parents once a week. I love my folks, but there is a reason I picked a school three hours from home and there is a reason they gave me luggage for graduation.  Now parents and students can talk to and see each other every day. <shudder> There is a reason Sailor Dude will probably attend school thousands of miles away and pretend that his webcam is broken.

Thirty years ago, my dear roommate and I staggered home with arms linked after a terrific party and at one point did the obligatory fall into rose bushes and NO ONE took our picture and posted it on the Internet so that by the time we got home, our parents were calling us. There are things parents should NOT know.

However, they always know them at some level anyway probably because even thirty years ago, report cards did not lie.

I of all people certainly get that a parent would like to keep their child from failing college, but sometimes the only way to really learn a lesson and to take it to heart, is to fail.  I have a lovely, charming child that no one ever wants to see fail and so if we don't rescue her, someone else always does. The problem is, is that this leaves her with even fewer skills with which to help herself.  This is what we are doing to our college students by micro managing them and offering chance after chance for redemption.

I have been following all of the posts generated the past few days by our college professors and instructors and I am in awe. How do you all keep from running out of the room screaming? I know ds's AP Bio teacher has dry, wicked sense of humor that that he keeps honed regularly.  Such as asking a student who is perpetually late, "Why do YOU bother?"  Or telling the young man who has been texting an entire class period that there are only two reasons for keeping his hands where they were for the whole class period and he hoped the young man's reason was texting. Ds said that was several weeks ago and the kid has never texted in class since and that overall, the whole class mostly keeps their hands on top of their desks. :D

I feel incredibly sorry for today's college student.

Thirty years ago I had to stand in line for the one pay phone to talk to my parents once a week. I love my folks, but there is a reason I picked a school three hours from home and there is a reason they gave me luggage for graduation.  Now parents and students can talk to and see each other every day. <shudder> There is a reason Sailor Dude will probably attend school thousands of miles away and pretend that his webcam is broken.

Thirty years ago, my dear roommate and I staggered home with arms linked after a terrific party and at one point did the obligatory fall into rose bushes and NO ONE took our picture and posted it on the Internet so that by the time we got home, our parents were calling us. There are things parents should NOT know.

However, they always know them at some level anyway probably because even thirty years ago, report cards did not lie.

I have been following all of the posts generated the past few days by our college professors and instructors and I am in awe. How do you all keep from running out of the room screaming?

:iagree:  with each section of the post! (I must have been at the same party  :lol: )