Menu

Physics and Calculus questions

My 10th grade son is very interested in pursuing an engineering degree. He's likely to end up at a state tech school that is well thought of regionally, but not highly competitive for admission purposes. So far, this is what we've done:

8th Physical Science (Apologia) and Honors Alg. 1 (Derek Owens)

9th Biology (Apologia) and Honors Geometry (Derek Owens)

10th Chemistry (Apologia) and Alg. 2 (Teaching Textbooks at local tutorial)

For 11th and 12th we are considering:

11th: Honors Physics (Derek Owens or tutored by local teacher) and Honors Pre-calc (Derek Owens)

12th  Science??? and AP Calc (Derek Owens)

Does anyone know how well Mr. Owens' physics class prepares for the AP Physics B exam? I'm completely stumped with what to do for science in his senior year. He would need something that could be taken concurrently with Mr. Owens' AP Calc class. Any ideas?

Thanks!

OK, First it is great that you are doing at least 3 years science. You definitely need at minimum the three you have listed, same with your math. You are luck that you already know you have an engineer. If I had to do it again, I would do your plan. Your child will need to take many years of math, 1 year chemistry, and 1+ years of physics in college. They are all very rigorous classes compared to non STEM classes.

The kids in college go into these freshman math and science classes with the AP equivalents completed. No, they don't move ahead to the next class. They are essentially taking these classes over. Even though grades are no longer on curves, the professors are making the classes and tests harder because those students do so well on them, leaving the remaining students lost.

For that reason, for 12th, I recommend doing more chemistry and/or physics. Perhaps start first half of AP for each. In otherwords, don't finish the full AP course just get a headstart to prepare for college. Since college physics requires calculus perhaps do first semester AP chemistry and second semester AP physics. Just an idea.

I have no experience with the AP exams, however, based on what the freshman college physics class is like, I do not feel that Mr. Owens honors physics will prepare for the AP physics exam. 

It very much depends on school whether they have already completed AP equivalents. At my graduate school (regional state school with an ok engineering program) many students did not have AP credit for calculus and physics. As a matter of fact, it was quite common for them to place into pre-calculus, which required an extra summer to catch up (fall - precalc, spring - calc 1, summer - calc 2). 

At an engineering school with better-prepared students many of them do indeed take the AP course and then re-take the course. 

Does anyone know how well Mr. Owens' physics class prepares for the AP Physics B exam? I'm completely stumped with what to do for science in his senior year. He would need something that could be taken concurrently with Mr. Owens' AP Calc class. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I don't know anything about Derek Owens Physics, but I just wanted to let you know that there is no AP Physics B exam anymore. It has been replaced by AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2. You can read about the new tests here on the College Board website.