Menu

Blend CAP, IEW & Bravewriter: Crazy??

jmarchman

Hi all,

I like aspects of all three of these approaches: CAP Writing & Rhetoric (only seen samples), IEW SWI-A & Bravewriter.  My 12yo ds with dysgraphia worked with IEW about 2 years ago before his diagnosis.  We switched to Bravewriter a year ago, and daily freewrites have been really helpful with lowering his anxiety around writing, but I'm ready to take the next babystep.

I think he would find IEW more do-able now that he's older than he did 2 years ago.  I'm also really curious about CAP W&R.  Both programs seem to be structured and to build upon previous lessons, and I don't *think* they overlap.  Blending them might help give him more tools?

Has anyone blended all three?

What does it look like?

I'm wondering if alternating lessons between IEW and CAP and then taking a freewrite through the topic funnel, etc (ala Bravewriter) would be good (nice variety), but would it be horribly confusing?

Also, we currently do Arrow with a little bit of reading from MCT thrown in.  Thinking I might add Fix-it back into the mix.

My kids always do a little bit of grammar and a little bit of writing daily.  So, rotating through things wouldn't add to the work load, it would be that we would have more in the rotation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer

It sounds like too much. While I think you can toss in bits of reading from MCT and BW can have bits taken and used alongside nearly any program, using such overarching, progressive programs like IEW and CAP together with other stuff on top seems like too much. But I haven't used IEW and CAP, so take that with a grain of salt. It just looks like it will either be too much work, too many approaches, too inconsistent, or all three.

ETA: But don't let me dissuade you necessarily. I'm just telling you how it looks. If hearing someone say, "That looks like way too much" makes you go, oh, gosh, it probably is, then, hey, I think you have your answer. If hearing someone say, "That looks like way too much" makes you go, "But throwing everything but the kitchen sink together usually works for us!" then you also have your answer.

"That looks like way too much" makes you go, "But throwing everything but the kitchen sink together usually works for us!" then you also have your answer.

LOL!  I appreciate all your input.  This last made me laugh, because that's probably true! :)  Which is also why I need a voice of reason sometimes...