Menu

6th grade plans

Aurelia

I've been revamping our plans for the "new" school year (starting within the next 2 weeks), and I'm a little nervous because I was originally going to do something else for history, geography and English, but DD really wanted to study Texas history, and I'm trying to accommodate her interests. My history plans have been put together quickly and mostly consist of reading lots of books and doing a few projects instead of following a curriculum. I'm not used to that. I'm a planner that likes to list out everything for each week, in historical order, before the year starts. I can't do that because I haven't even received half the books I'm planning to use, including my main overview books.

Learn Math Fast vol 1-?

Killgallon's Sentence Composing for Middle School

Treasured Conversations (finish), then CAP W&R

Phonetic Zoo

Texas history (home designed)

Mapping the World with Art

Anatomy (home designed), Ellen McHenry's The Brain, The Elements

Getting Started with Latin

gymnastics/cheer, horseback riding

guitar lessons

Does it look doable? Have I left anything out? Am I ruining my child by doing history without a textbook or curriculum? What are your plans?

It looks good to me! Texas History is so much fun! We did it as the summer between third and fourth grade. I think I'm going to repeat it in seventh grade. 

Are you in Texas? Go to the Texas History Museum in Austin. Wherever we travel, I try to take my kids to a museum and this ranks up near the top for a history museum. We spent nearly two hours on the first floor and raced through the next two floors because we were running out of time.

The movie The Alamo with Billy Bob Thornton was really good and much closer to being historically accurate than the John Wayne movie.

It looks good to me! Texas History is so much fun! We did it as the summer between third and fourth grade. I think I'm going to repeat it in seventh grade. 

Are you in Texas? Go to the Texas History Museum in Austin. Wherever we travel, I try to take my kids to a museum and this ranks up near the top for a history museum. We spent nearly two hours on the first floor and raced through the next two floors because we were running out of time.

The movie The Alamo with Billy Bob Thornton was really good and much closer to being historically accurate than the John Wayne movie.

Yes, we were definitely planning to go to the Bob Bullock Museum, and my uncle was an extra in The Alamo, so we will probably watch it. Of course, I'll spend half the movie looking for familiar faces.  :001_smile: I may try to talk DH into taking us to see the battleship Texas (and the aquarium) later in the year, too. 

I want to help but you are using so many programs that I am not familiar with that I don't feel I can comment.  Sorry!!

It "looks" doable , but again I am not familiar.  And of corse you can do history without a book - the best history is without a book :-)

Because you asked we are doing;

CLE Math 6

Key to Fractions

Rod and Staff Spelling 6

Rod and Staff English 4 (we are way behind in grammar)

VP Self Paced History Explorers to 1815 (with all readers)

IEW Student Intensive A

Science Detective with live classes at our local science museum

Visual Latin

Competitive Cheer Team

Field Hockey

She's will be a young sixth grader so she is kind of all over the map with abilities - the beauty of homeschooling right???