Menu

ELTL Reading

MotherOfBoys

I am trying to find a nice brand of books for my son to read the ELTL level 2 (and beyond) reading selections from for next year. He will be done with Pathway Readers grade 3 this year. He read some of the ELTL level 1 books this year. Beatrix potter, Jungle Book, and Pinocchio. The last two were Treasury of Illustrated Classics by Modern Publishing. He likes these better than the Classic Starts by Sterling that he has read for history. (Greek Myths and The Odyssey). We did Libervox for Five Children and It while he followed along. The lady that reads it is much better that I. I want him to enjoy the readings but count it as his improving reading as well. Is there any other brand of books for elementary grade readers to read the classics?

Next years selections are:

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

The Blue Fairy Book

Peter Pan

The Wind in the Willows

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There

A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys

I know there are not as many chapters in the Classic Starts as the originals. We made it work this year.

We have done some Kindle books but his face gets red if he reads on it too long. Do you think the originals are ok to have a elementary student read directly from? To be honest I have not read the original versions of any of these level 2s.

I found an Aladdin series on Rainbow Resource. I also found out that Classic Starts by Sterling makes a separate Sterling series that is the same price. It has more words per page with smaller type. Does anyone like these? 

Some people "buy" the free Kindle book, just to be offered the reduced rate professionally read audio book and have the child just listen, or real along in a hardcopy book. My adult remedial students do a lot of reading along to audio or just listening to audio while doing handcrafts of coloring.

For ME, I don't always consider literature to be "reading". I often assign literature above the student's reading level and read it to them, or have them listen.

For reading practice, I use things like Alpha-Phonics and McGuffey's Readers taught in explicit mini lessons, supplemented by lots of independent reading of fluff below their reading level.

I'm sorry that I don't know much about abridged classics. I don't really use them.