Menu

When they use what they are learning

I will freely admit to having perpetual conversations with myself over the value of Advanced Placement  classes in my son's education. I thought last year's AP English Language class was going to be the exception as the skills learned were highly practical and my ds can now whip out a decent essay in about 45 minutes in a variety of subjects.

This year I am a bit surprised to find that Sailor Dude applies on a nearly daily basis what he is learning in both AP Macroeconomics and AP Statistics. Yesterday he was talking about a "study" that was released about teens and s*xting and why he didn't think it was valid because of the population and the sampling methodology.  The day before that, we talked about why he didn't think that economic sanctions were going to work in a particular situation. I have to remind myself that conversations like this are why we educate the way we do in our home.  We push science at the highest level even if he will never major in it, so he can intelligently dissect the latest statement on the environment that comes out of the mouth of a congressman. :D

I have worked myself up into a lather over this year's transcript because while I think the grades will be okay, I don't think we are looking at 4.0 - not with 4 AP classes (never again!) and a challenging Spanish class.  Smaller assignments are bypassed. I know that. There is never enough time in the day to do all of the homework, especially for being a slow reader. And yet, this same student who has generally needed me to be behind him with the proverbial whip, has been almost completely self-directed this year. I am learning to stay quiet when I know that something is due and he is perilously close to the deadline. I guess we are both maturing. :tongue_smilie:

All this to say that I love it when the student takes what they are learning in class and actively looks for opportunities to apply that knowledge in the real world.

Also, in another month or so, it will be time to register for PA Homeschooler classes for 2015-16 and we would highly recommend the Macroecon class and the Stats class. Ds's comment about Stats was that it was 'infinitely practical." Of course, it goes without saying that Mrs. Inspektor's AP English Literature class is great too, but  ds is wishing he had delayed it until senior year.