Menu

Using Rightstart Math with multiple children

Ms.Ivy

There is a possibility that I may be homeschooling a kindergartner next year, along with my twins who will be 4 then. All three of them are doing preschool with me currently, with the oldest of the three learning much faster and a little more in-depth.

I am thinking about starting all three of them in Rightstart next year. With my previous singletons, I have used a mix of Singapore Math (1A, slowly), Liberty Mathematics K, and the Rightstart abacus. I know this won't be as efficient when I have a kindergartener AND two pre-schoolers.

Do any of you that have experience with using the complete Rightstart program think it is well suited to a group of three students who are a year apart? Could I easily tweak it to make it workable?

Every child/sibling set is different. I had twins and used RightStart A though half of C. I taught each child individually at his pace. The early levels of RS are not time consuming, so it was no big deal to work with each individually. It was sometimes hard to keep one child busy while I worked with the other, but this was true in all of life!

The early levels of RS are a lot of oral work. I don't know how you would do that with 3 together, if that is what you're thinking. Maybe it's possible. I couldn't. If you meant teach them individually but at the same levels, that's doable. But then there would be no compelling reason to tie their progress together, and that might get harder to maintain as they age anyway.

Edited to add: remembering backward, I was reluctant to let my more math adept child go ahead because it felt easier as a teacher to focus on just one lesson a day, even though I did that one lesson twice. I, reluctantly, eventually let one move ahead of the other. That was the right decision, and I should have done it sooner. I don't think, though, I let them diverge until after we left RS.

I also just noticed that the K isn't yours. I can see why you might want to have just the level you would be using for your twins. Preschool is kind of young for RS, or would have been for mine I think. If it gets to be too much, though, you could just do c-rods and education unoxed ideas  with your twins together, while you continue RSA with the K.