Menu

Anyone else dealing with transfer applications?

Gwen in VA

Going through the college application process the first time was so much fun that dd decided we should do it again! (NOT!) :banghead:

So -- dd technically has nearly 70 credits, which puts her well beyond needing to submit any high school materials, but since she just completed her first "real" semester of college we definitely are going to submit her high school transcript, course descriptions, and school profile. What I am still trying to figure out is whether or not to include the counselor letter. I am NOT going to update it -- life is too crazy and I'm sure no public school counselor would update a letter from the previous year.

The letter does give a window into who dd is, but I did write it a year ago. Thoughts?

(And I rejoiced this time last year because I thought I would never need to deal with this process again!)

Gwen sorry to hear you're both going through the application process again.  Not doing that here, but I also wouldn't update the recommendation letter as your role as guidance counselor ended when she graduated high school.  I'd leave the original date on it so it was clear that it was from when she was a high school student.  I'd also ask your daughter if there's someone at her current college who could write a LOR for her.  If she's worked with an advisor there, maybe they could do one for her as well.  Students transfer for all kinds of reasons so it doesn't have to be for a negative at her current school, but just something which she's looking for elsewhere. 

You could send the existing letter and then just include an addendum of a paragraph highlighting any accomplishments and final results at the time of her graduating from high school if there's anything not included in the original letter.   At least she probably has a really good idea now of what she is or isn't looking for and that will make her search easier.  Wishing her well and hoping to hear good news.