Menu

New Laptop, Needs Educational Software

SnMomof7

It's been a LONG time since we've owned a Windows machine, but I just ordered one for our children with gift money. It's running Win 8.1 and I'd love to hear educational software suggestions. I have children from 11 down to those who'll be hitting he ground next month, so it's a pretty side range.

I'm thinking Typing Tutor Platinum and some Critical Thinking software as a starting place.

Any favorites?

• 2 weeks later...

Reflex math (subscription) or Xtra Math (free), Nessy Reading (I just stumbled on this one, so haven't had a chance to play around much, but it looks promising).  That's all I can think of off the top of my head.  There aren't many on CD that are specifically compatible for 8.1 yet, though I'm sure lots work on it.  Our Typing Tutor works just fine on it.  Lots and lots of companies going to the download versions though. 

Also, this may not be an issue for you, but it was a surprise to me, so I'll mention it - if you pay for internet usage, you will have to disable the many, many live feeds that Windows 8.1 uses.

The Nutcracker Music Game (I wrote a review here - http://fundafunda.com/blog/the-nutcracker-music-game-review.html). They have others too - the games are fun and educational

I got some of the kids I teach at co op to write a post about their favorite CD Rom games - fundafunda.com/blog/cool-educational-cd-roms-and-software-great-gifts.html. The ones they mentioned:

Minecraft

Rollercoaster Tycoon

Civilization (this my boys LOVED)

Age of mythology  

Age of Empires

I love adventure games - they teach critical thinking - Nancy Drew has ones that are great for middle school. For the younger ones, Spy Fox, Fatty Bear, Pajama Sam

Just check that everything works on Windows 8