Menu

Starting in the (sort of) middle

Ktede

Hi all,

First year homeschooling, first year for classical ed.  I have a younger 4th grader (turns 10 in May).

I have read the section from TWTM about starting in the middle but would love to hear from some folks who may have actually done that, and what your first year looked like--dictation and copywork is going ok; narrations are a struggle.  Trying to maintain the joy and peace of easing into homeschooling, but also trying to play catch up (for instance, his reading/narration level is WWE level 2 at best)  

Anyway, just looking for some testimonials from this stage.  How long did it take you to feel "caught up."  Did it suddenly just "click" for your student (specifically thinking of the the narrations)  

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't be worrying about catching up right now.  I would just try to ease into everything at whatever level your child is at and just keep moving forward.  Unless your goal is to return your child to a regular school next year.  If not, then just try to give both of you time to find your rhythm.  You can reassess in a few months and tweak as needed.  You are homeschooling now.  Go at the pace that works best for your child's adjustment to homeschooling and success as a learner.  

And if you feel your child is struggling/behind in certain areas, don't rush.  Step back as far as needed to fill in whatever gaps may have occurred.  That usually works better then continuing to try to rush forward to "catch" up, IMHO.  The gaps just get wider.  If narration is a struggle, step it way, way back.  Your child may not be ready.  There may be gaps that need addressing before tackling that skill. 

And make sure that you both are doing some fun, interest led learning each day.  Let your child pursue areas of interest and support any outside activities they are already participating in or would like to pursue if at all possible.  You, too.  Model being a lifetime learner.

Good luck and best wishes.

Even kids that start WTM at the beginning aren't always able to follow the plan as-is. My 5th grader is not writing like SWB lays out in the book, despite starting WTM writing halfway through first grade. The same goes for my 2nd grader, who took longer to read and thus can't write much yet. My 3rd kid will probably be easily "on schedule" with writing, since he has better fine motor skills. The key is to meet them where they are and keep progressing forward. :)

Even kids that start WTM at the beginning aren't always able to follow the plan as-is. My 5th grader is not writing like SWB lays out in the book, despite starting WTM writing halfway through first grade. The same goes for my 2nd grader, who took longer to read and thus can't write much yet. My 3rd kid will probably be easily "on schedule" with writing, since he has better fine motor skills. The key is to meet them where they are and keep progressing forward. :)

:iagree:   :)

My son (also a 4th grader who won't turn 10 until June) and I just started our classical journey this year as well!  We had to do some remedial math because of some basic arithmetic issues and his spelling, writing, grammar (written) is not great, but we have started where he is and slowly built since August (June really but not intensively).  He says history is now his favorite subject but he does not like to write about it much at all.  I am lucky to get more than a paragraph or two out of him on anything including narrations.  That is ok by me.  I choose not to push too hard because I want him to keep the joy.  He thinks Latin is fun because we started with Prima Latina and English from the Roots Up.  Both are just very straightforward and basic.  Latin and root study has helped with spelling and grammar as well believe it or not. He likes making word connections (root endings or hey that's where ambulance came from) and seeing patterns (spelling).  We are not in a hurry and we are definitely not on anyone else's time schedule.  We are focusing on getting the basics (reading, writing and arithmetic) down and going from there. This works for us.  And we take lots of living history and science related field trips for variety.  He is a much happier young man! And that is what is important to me!  Good luck!