Menu

Homeschool Honor Society

It's a legit honor society, with high standards of acceptance/admittance. Dd was inducted a couple of years ago, and I think it really did help with her college applications being taken seriously. On her transcript we noted that she was an inducted member of the society, and briefly listed the criteria required for membership.

Students aren't accepted "at large;" they have to belong to a local chapter. So if there isn't one near you, you'll have to obtain permission to start a chapter. Ours is very small and covers a wide geographical area, so we don't participate in activities together, but some chapters are quite active.

My dd was also inducted into this honor society, but we have a local chapter. Actually, it's a state chapter, but that is considered 'local' for the society.

Admission is not easy and the standards are high. I know they wanted to see a LOT of community service, they required written recommendations from church and outside teachers/professionals, and they have minimum scores (which are actually pretty high) for each of the standardized tests (ACT, PSAT, SAT, and Iowa). You can chose which of those tests/scores to submit.

It was great on her high school transcript and I know this was one more thing to help colleges look more favorably upon her.

My ds is also a member, and it was tough to get in. He had the grades and the test scores, but leaders have other objective criteria as mentioned above. I was really pleased when we got the notice that he'd been accepted.

His chapter meets about once a month and they always do a service project, usually at a home for Alzheimer's patients. I really like that they DO something instead of just sitting around having a meeting.

If there's not a chapter in your area, it would be well worth the effort to start one.

• 4 weeks later...