Menu

DIY help w/ refurbishing my new "treasure?"

swimmermom3

While I was looking on Craigslist for a new, old headboard and foot board for our guest room, I came across an ad for an antique oriental screen.  For fun, we went and looked at it and decided to bring it home. This was definitely not in my decorating plans, but I think I can make it work.

So I have a couple of questions for those of you that "upcycle" old treasures.

Hopefully, this is a picture of the screen.post-8914-0-73187100-1417412659_thumb.jpegngs.

One of the problems with it is that it needs to be cleaned. There is something spattered on part of it which is either grease or candle wax. My bet is grease.  How can I safely remove this without affecting the hand painting?  Also, at the base, someone had a screw inserted in one of the legs and when the screen was folded for storage, that screw chewed the heck out of the adjoining leg, exposing the wood. Is there a way that I can touch that up or at least keep the paint from peeling further?

My first priority is to clean the screen without damaging it. For the most part, I don't mind the imperfections as the price ($50) was comparable to a framed poster.

If you have any ideas on how I can refurbish this, I would be delighted to hear them.  With two of my three kids now moved out of the house, I can have a real guest room and I think this could work well.

post-8914-0-73187100-1417412659_thumb.jpeg

I have no experience in that particular project, but if it were me, I'd likely try some cool water with a bit of Dawn dish soap and a soft microfiber rag. Test it out in an inconspicuous area, allow it to dry, and if it doesn't seem to harm it, go for it. Dish soap works great on oils and soaps, and water and a gentle cloth will clean many things . . . So, that's what I'd try first. It's likely a nice hard paint and I'd be surprised if a bit of water and a rag hurt it. 

So far as the damaged area, I'd pick out a craft acrylic paint (little bottles at craft store .. . . you could pick up a handful of close colors and mix up a custom blend to match, use some wood filler putty to fill in the damaged area, sand it smooth, and then touch it up with the craft paint and a tiny brush. That'll seal the wood and probably look just fine. 

Enjoy!!

I have no experience in that particular project, but if it were me, I'd likely try some cool water with a bit of Dawn dish soap and a soft microfiber rag. Test it out in an inconspicuous area, allow it to dry, and if it doesn't seem to harm it, go for it. Dish soap works great on oils and soaps, and water and a gentle cloth will clean many things . . . So, that's what I'd try first. It's likely a nice hard paint and I'd be surprised if a bit of water and a rag hurt it. 

So far as the damaged area, I'd pick out a craft acrylic paint (little bottles at craft store .. . . you could pick up a handful of close colors and mix up a custom blend to match, use some wood filler putty to fill in the damaged area, sand it smooth, and then touch it up with the craft paint and a tiny brush. That'll seal the wood and probably look just fine. 

Enjoy!!

Good ideas, Stephanie.  I was toying with the idea of trying to lift off some of the grease with my 5 in 1 tool first, then trying to clean it. I have no idea how a person could get grease on something like this. If it's candle wax, that could be a whole other problem.

I am wondering too that if after I use the wood filler I should maybe use a bonding primer (supposed to stop peeling) and then put the acrylic paint over that? I never considered using acrylic craft paint, but I think it would be an excellent option.