Menu

Bored? Like interior decorating time sucks? I need kitchen island pendant light recs

momee

Open space concept- LR, DR Kit

Pottery Barn-ish - garden, traditional, decor with LOTS of natural light and windows - think bell cloches, plants, natural woods and materials, mushroom colored cabinets with dark butcher block and soapstone countertops.  

Plumbing fixtures will be brushed nickel (I think that's what it is called - not the shiny silver).

What type island pendants would you choose?

If really bored, I need a dining room light that matches as well...

It isn't built yet, lol.   We're just now getting under roof.

I need to let electricians know about what I'm putting in so they can wire for everything and I'm stumped.

Do you think the Pottery Barn Rustic Glass Pendants are overdone?  I love~! them...and they'd fit perfectly with decor/time period of what I'm going for.  I see alot of them on Houzz though and don't want to put anything trendy in the house, I'm hoping to do this ONCE and be done for the next 20 years, lol.

Put in what you like.  Really like.  Once it is in the house, it kind of disappears to your eyes.  I've done this a few times, and sweated bullets over the decision, only to realize that I didn't really ever look at the light much after it was in.  What I DID notice was how hard it was to keep clean (some of the bowl lights are great for shedding a lot of light, but you have to keep it vacuumed out or you see dead fly silhouettes from the underside.  Remember also that the kitchen has a lot of grease in it, and so it isnt a matter of a quick dust to get pendant fixtures clean.  You have to be able to swipe them down with windex and a rag.  And the other thing to remember is that their purpose is to LIGHT the surface.  that means that the light has to cover the work area.  You should be able to get it really bright and have it on a dimmer switch so when the open concept area is more about entertaining than cooking, you aren't blinding your guests.  

In my old (wonderful) kitchen, we had can lights in the ceiling to light the area, and pendants for pretty.  Worked out GREAT; the can lights were on a dimmer, too.