Menu

Self-Education--How To?

you already are very well-educated!

If you like TWEM, I would just follow the book list chronologically, although don't feel compelled to follow it slavishly. Read the books that you're interested, in order. Believe me, your self-education will grow as you move along.

I just ordered this book, which is probably very similar to TWEM. It's called The New Lifetime Reading Plan, which someone (I can't remember who to thank!) on these boards recommended. I'm planning on doing the same exact thing: reading through the books chronologically, for the most part, perhaps skipping a few here and there.

I hope this helps!

might start reading through SWB's The History of the Ancient World, which would give you a good, solid overview (actually, fairly in-depth) of ancient history. Since she's coming out with a four-volume series to cover all the major epochs of history, reading through this series would give you a great foundation. That, coupled with the literature reading, would put you head and shoulders above most people.

Also, Churchill's The History of the English-Speaking Peoples, also a four-volume series (but divided up differently) would do the same thing, only concentrating on British history.

HTH!

This may seem an odd suggestion, but actually, I've found that reading history books aimed at kids have really helped introduce me to history. SWB's Story of the World and E.H. Gombrich's A Little History of the World are delightful to read and a great way to become acquainted with an outline of history, as well as a lot of concepts and events that are frightfully new.

If you're fuzzy on history, I'd personally recommend looking at the suggestions for studying high school history in TWTM. I think the history and political titles in TWEM serve better as primary sources than as history spines.

Regardless how you choose to do history, I'd greatly recommend keeping a timeline for synthesis. Nothing has been more beneficial to me when reading history than being able to place things at least in their century to know what came before and what came after.

Also, do you have a specific aim in mind in using TWEM? It doesn't really seem so too much from what you've said, but that's likely just because you didn't state it. If you're still looking for advice, it'd help to know what your aim is.

HTH, and good luck!

Yes, it would help if I knew what my aim was, lol!

I'm doing the SoTW series with my kids and it has been absolutely wonderful. I've learned a lot! We're just mid-way through SoTW2, the middle ages, and I've been thinking of getting and reading SoTW 3&4 just for my own amusement--but then I love the sense of discovery I get with the kids.

My oldest however, is 10 and it has been weighing on me that he'll be ready for high school material in about four years--I need to be ready for him! (and my precocious daughter is following quickly on his heels!)

Truly, that's the aim--and it is a bit different from The WEM. I've read the chapters 1-4 and the one on History. I realised that I'm looking more for historical content than I am looking for historiography.

A timeline of my own would be an excellent idea: I have one for the kids (and we need to start using it again!) but mine needn't be so pictoral!

I guess what I want is a WTM Highschool curriculum for myself: a four year plan starting with the ancients and progressing chronologically to the end of WW2. I want art history, music, history itself, and literature. A historical approach to science would be fantastic, too--more a history of the ideas of science than a "science course" itself, kwim?

I don't know about math. Or Latin--I haven't done any higher math (nothing beyond algebra and geometry) nor do I really want to study Latin, though I like the idea. (The kids are studying Latin right now, but I'm not yet sure how far we're going to go with it.)

So, I guess that's as much thought as I've put into it for now...thanks for asking!

A historical approach to science would be fantastic, too--more a history of the ideas of science than a "science course" itself, kwim?

You might take a look at Joy Hakim's The Story of Science series. The first one is The Story Of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way , the second is The Story of Science: Newton at the Center, and the third is The Story of Science: Einstein Adds a New Dimension. These are written at a junior high level.

Regards,

Kareni

Shari--

I have thought about TOG off and on ever since I've heard about them. One of my concerns is that there would be far too much American History for us.

Is that assumption correct?

Last year I really wanted to do the "Revolution" series by Truthquest. I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to find out more about it!

And thanks for the Joy Hakim suggestions. Our library actually has them!

I guess what I want is a WTM Highschool curriculum for myself: a four year plan starting with the ancients and progressing chronologically to the end of WW2. I want art history, music, history itself, and literature. A historical approach to science would be fantastic, too--more a history of the ideas of science than a "science course" itself, kwim?

I don't know about math. Or Latin--I haven't done any higher math (nothing beyond algebra and geometry) nor do I really want to study Latin, though I like the idea. (The kids are studying Latin right now, but I'm not yet sure how far we're going to go with it.)

I'm right there with you - you've basically described what I've got planned for myself. I'd highly recommend looking at the high school recommendations in The Well-Trained Mind. I've only sort of begun my own studies (I've read a bit on ancient Mesopotamia and started reading Gilgamesh), but I can tell you what I've got in mind for myself and maybe it'll help you better realize what you want for yourself, or give you ideas.

My main focus is on history/literature, though I'm also going to study grammar, composition, logic, and possibly Latin. But really, the history/lit combo, which gives you perspective and has you interact with ideas, I think is key.

For history, I'd recommend getting several history books (I've currently got SWB's History of the Ancient World, JM Robert's The New Penguin History of the World, and The Dorling Kindersley History of the World from the library, as well as my CC world history texts which are dry as dust) so that you get different approaches to the same time period. I'd read about one place at a time, reading the coorsponding literature, and go chronologically. If you use some history books that focus on major events, especially politics and government, use it as a starting point, and then look into other topics like economy, culture, religion, art, philosophy, technology and science, etc. (For history of science, I've heard good things about Joy Hakim's books). Make maps, or at least look at them frequently, and keep a timeline. Also look for pictures that are either from the time, or are of what remains from that time; pictures of ruins are amazing.

TWEM has a great list for cooresponding literature, and you can add to it by looking at others lists such as the ones here, here, and here. What I find so valuable about TWEM is the practically step-by-step instructions for reading each genre at each stage of the trivium. What I've been doing is reading through, then writing the instructions out more simply so I can just look at my new list instead of reading through the book each time - like a student handout.

I hope that helps give you ideas. I can give you more specifics of my own plan if you'd like, but above is the gist of it.

Why don't you just begin with the highschool section of TWTM and go from there?

Blessings

Zoraida

Shari--not to malign your country's history or anything! You can't know how much I wish there was something similiar for us North of the Border. History here has fragmented into multiculturalism and "Special Interest" groups BIG TIME. At least, that's all I've been able to find, so far. It just doesn't seem as accessible as US history. The best book I've found for a good sweep of Cdn. History is "Canadian History for Dummies." (Honest). It is excellent reading, though!

I'd read about one place at a time, reading the coorsponding literature, and go chronologically. If you use some history books that focus on major events, especially politics and government, use it as a starting point, and then look into other topics like economy, culture, religion, art, philosophy, technology and science, etc. (For history of science, I've heard good things about Joy Hakim's books). Make maps, or at least look at them frequently, and keep a timeline. Also look for pictures that are either from the time, or are of what remains from that time; pictures of ruins are amazing.

What a great plan! I like it. Thanks for the links, too!

Zoraida--that's the plan for this weekend.

Thanks everyone.