Menu

New Versions of Hooked on Phonics--whats on the DVDs?

mathmarm

I've used the K-2 versions as well as the Master Reader edition for more advanced readers.

Their website has a little bit of a demo: http://learntoread.hookedonphonics.com/demo
Basically the DVD shows each word in the lesson and says it out loud, then cycles back through the words without saying them and the kid is supposed to read them. So a lesson might have words starting with "sh" and it would swap out the endings to show all the words in the lesson, like ship, shot, etc. There are some brief animated intros, as well as some sections that teach sight words- they call them "helper words". Each DVD includes maybe 3 of the little stories that are also in the workbook, and they show the words and read them aloud. 

I liked it a lot, but got it free from the library so I didn't think at all about whether it's a good value for what they charge. I did get their iPad app for K when they were briefly offering it for free. (Normally like $70 for all the lessons.) I sure hope once they release the next level it'll be offered free at some point.

ETA: I just found their YouTube channel, which has some full-lesson demos:

The K level has cute songs, levels 1 & 2 do not. Like the Big Pig song which you can find on youtube. There is a song like that for all of the short vowels IIRC. The description and example of the words cycling through was right on. Waterdreamer uses this app now with her son and I think she said that it's the same thing as the DVD's (videos, words cycling through, etc) but it has the added feature of being interactive versus the DVD being "broadcast" only. 

Master Reader, designed for 6-8 year olds, was rebranded and recently turned into an app as well (Hooked on Phonics Reading Pro). It was free when it was first released a month or two ago but now it is $20. It is however a pretty big jump IMO from the second grade sounding out exercises and short stories to the page length Master Reader/Reading Pro stories and chapter books. 

In short, I think they have a great quality reading program and maybe just invest in one level at a time to make it more affordable. If they had the Learning to Read app versus just the workbooks and dvd's a few years ago, I would have gone for the app for sure.