Menu

TM for Spielvogel's Western Civ....

We are using the 5th edition ourselves and here is what I've found out so far.

There is very, very little difference between at least the 5th, 6th, and 7th editions of the text. It is almost identical and I would say that what slight changes there are, are mostly cosmetic. There have been a few slight changes, but there not any, that I've found so far, significant changes in terms of the vast majority of the text. (but I've only really looked as far as the fall of Rome so far);)

That being the case, I'm using the 7th edition, the most recent, teacher's materials to help me with the text. As a homeschooler, you can get an "Instructor's Single sign-on" account with Cengage, which is the "mother-ship" company over several publishing houses. This will allow you to access all kinds of teacher's aids for the text on line. You can also purchase materials from them as a homeschooler, or through an oversight academy if you have one. I have done both. I purchased an Insturctor's Resouce guide that has printed test banks by signing a form promising that I would only use it in my homeschool, etc.

Further, there are also LOTS of student activities on the web-site that are keyed to the chapters of the text. You DON'T need any kind of account to access the student materials...it is all wide open and free. It is only the instructor materials that you have to have an account for. Most of the instructor, on-line, materials are free, :D but password protected :001_huh:. There are also several services which require an institution subscription, but these are really things most of us homeschoolers wouldn't want anyway.

I'm going to try to give you a link that will show you the student companion site for the book, so that you can see what resources are available without doing anything "official". IF you click on the locked tab towards the upper right side, it will show you the names of the instructor resources....but you won't be able to get into those without setting something up with Cengage. You should be able to get into all the student stuff though for each chapter. Now, be forewarned....the site is sluggish, it may take a while to respond, even with high speed. I think it is just really getting a lot of traffic right now because of the time of year.

http://www.wadsworth.com/cgi-wadsworth/course_products_wp.pl?fid=M20b&product_isbn_issn=9780495502852&discipline_number=21

Through my account, I've been able to download, for free, everything that is in the Instructors Resource materials, except the test bank. The reason you can't get the test bank to work, even if you have an account, is that it runs on WebCT or Blackboard, which, I think I understand this correctly, are subscription services that some universities and larger school have. I've got Chapter summaries, chapter outlines, suggested research topics, map exercises, discussion questions (but no answers are given for those, by the way) The test bank, in the Instructors Resource that I purchased, includes 50 multiple choice questions and 10 t/f questions per chapter with answers as well and un-answered suggested essay questions. It was relatively cheap, 15 bucks for the first half of the course, which is all I wanted (through 1715). The other thing I really like that I downloaded was the powerpoint slides for the lectures....very handy for a kid learning to take notes.

Go and poke around on the website....there is a lot there that you can get just plain free without going through any hassles at all.:)

One other thing....in the case you are interested in using the thing called Info-trac....it is a data base that many public libraries subscribe to....you may be able to access it remotely, depending on what your library has access to. They are pretty neat, challenging, research exercises....definitely AP or serious college prep IMO.

Okay....so this was a huge and probably really confusing data dump....please feel free to follow up and I'll try to clarify.

Whew:svengo:

Sharon,

Thanks so much for all of your info. I did find a 5th edition TM for the Since 1500 text that I was looking for. (It pays to be persistent and slog through all the matches on Amazon :) I didn't think that it would be very different from the 6th edition, but thanks for reassuring me.

I have poked around on the CenGage website and found the student links. I wasn't sure how to access the teacher links because it said something about needing a code?? (from the purchased text maybe?) Maybe I misunderstood and just need to take another look at it. Again, thanks so much for taking the time out to post and share your info. I really appreciate it. Julia:)

I think you have found the materials I was referring to. There is a wealth of student material that anyone can access without jumping through any additional hoops.

But to access the teacher restricted areas you would have to set up an account as an instructor through Cengage. You can see the types of materials available without a password/account....But you can not actually view it in detail or download it....

I have been pleased with setting up an account so I could gain full access...it was worth the hassle for us.

I hope that your TM for the 5th edition proves to be as helpful as I think it will be! I'd like to get my hands on one as well!