Menu

would you eat this....meat left out on the countertop

ProudGrandma

Actually, I thaw in the sink. If there is raw meat on the outside of the package I'd rather have it in the sink than on the counter. It's less likely to contaminate things because I clean the sink more thoroughly and generally never put anything IN the sink that I intend to eat uncooked.But I don't generally leave meat out for hours after it's thawed. That might start to concern me. If I did though, I figure cooking it well would be enough to deal with things.)I've been told that people in England would routinely leave their meat out on a marble slab. That was supposed to keep it cold enough. But I was also told that houses in England tended to be a lot colder than in the US (where I am). And pantries the coldest of all.

My house is cold year-round. We use more energy in the summer than winter, and we have legitimate winters. Perhaps this is why I've never had an incident in 21 years of housekeeping?