Menu

Need Dancing Bears Help

PandaMom

I have never had a problem with teaching DB's until now.  I am just starting Level 7 in Book B and I am stumped.  It is the "ew and ue" sounds.  I am going over the page before introducing it to her and I realize that there are two different sounds for "ew and ue" and I can't figure out a rule to explain to her.  Examples are the "you" sound in few and pew versus new and chew and the "you" sound in argue and hue versus blue and due.  I hope I am explaining this right.  I am lost and need help  ((PLEASE)).

Susie

DD(9)

I am not sure for Dancing Bears, but I remember from AAS 3, that when words end with a u you have to add a silent e to the end of the word as English words don't end with a u. HTH!

ETA: It may be a regional thing, but the difference in how we pronounce those words is either the long u sound or the oo sound as is too (for us anyways)

In AAS it says to teach the student that sometimes you hear the "y" sound (few, hue), and sometimes you don't (chew, blue).  There is no way of knowing which sound a word will have.  It also says that the student will naturally say the correct pronunciation while reading because it's difficult to say the wrong sound.  Basically, I say that it can make both sounds and if one doesn't work try the other. 

ETA that I am not that far into DB (my dd is about 2/3 of the way through Book A), but I taught the different sounds of /th/ in Book A basically the same way.  I used Alphabet Island with my first three and it didn't give a way to distinguish between the different sounds of /th/ or long /u/ either. 

I have never had a problem with teaching DB's until now.  I am just starting Level 7 in Book B and I am stumped.  It is the "ew and ue" sounds.  I am going over the page before introducing it to her and I realize that there are two different sounds for "ew and ue" and I can't figure out a rule to explain to her.  Examples are the "you" sound in few and pew versus new and chew and the "you" sound in argue and hue versus blue and due.  I hope I am explaining this right.  I am lost and need help  ((PLEASE)).

Susie

DD(9)

In AAS it says to teach the student that sometimes you hear the "y" sound (few, hue), and sometimes you don't (chew, blue).  There is no way of knowing which sound a word will have.  It also says that the student will naturally say the correct pronunciation while reading because it's difficult to say the wrong sound.  Basically, I say that it can make both sounds and if one doesn't work try the other. 

Right, there's not a rule per se--same with cute versus duty. The long U sound is actually two sounds: Y + oo.

Rather, this has to do with the physical nature of forming sounds. Trying saying "blue" with the full "you" sound--it's really hard for our mouths to do that!