Menu

Computer/tech people - Windows question

wapiti

I'm guessing no one will have an answer here, but I thought I would try anyway. Windows Update broke my Windows 7 (64 bit). It's a long story but it has something to do with the bad batch of updates from Aug 12 and then Sept 3, kb2993651. At some point it crashed on the Sept updates but I was able to get it back after a series of turning it off, startup repair, etc. Technically it works, but the problem is that windows hangs or temporarily freezes randomly, often enough to drive me crazy ( like right now, so I have turned to the iPad). I have uninstalled the updates all the way back to August ,reinstalled them one at a time. Some of the updates are no longer available (reported as bad in blogs). It doesn't matter whether kb2993651 is installed or not, I still have this really irritating hanging problem.

The conspiracy theorist in me says that Microsoft would like me to buy Windows 9 when it comes out. Alternatively, Microsoft has grown increasingly incompetent. Alternatively, Microsoft would like me to give my PC to my kids and buy a MacBook.

This is not a viral issue. I continue running scans for that (which is probably what is hanging things up as I type this).

In the days of yore, I could fix all with a simple System Restore. Alas, there are no early enough restore points. Check disk is ok. It is definitely a Windows issue. Am I out of luck? Ideas?