Menu

If you switched from BJU spelling

jer2911mom

If you switched from BJU spelling to something else and found it to teach the rules and typical spellings better, what did you switch to?  I like some parts of BJU spelling, but I feel like the rules are buried in the TM and aren't clearly listed for the child.  The worktext just lists all the possible spellings.  My dd is not a natural speller and needs more explicit work, it seems.  

I've been considering R&S Spelling and Megawords.

Thanks,

Kathy

Which edition are you using? 2nd is WAY better at stating the rules, IIRC.

Spelling Workout clearly states the rule at the top of each new lesson page.

Anything Spalding based {WRTR, AAS, LOE} will really teahc those rules well.

We are using 2nd edition.  They list generalizations at the top of the student worktexts, but the rules and most common spellings are buried in the TM.  The generalizations are not helpful in the least, just listing every possible spelling for a sound.  The rules in the TM are buried in the discussion and aren't clearly listed there, either.  I love the English and math, but the spelling is becoming very frustrating.

I've heard that Spelling Workout lists the rules, but then really doesn't do anything in the exercises that requires the child to use the rules?

My dd really did not like AAS, so I'm trying to find something else.  It's a last resort. : )  I don't really need all of LOE.  I'm just looking for spelling.

Thanks!

Kathy