Menu

Excited about science book!

mohop

We found this book from the library recently, and I have decided to make it the center of our first grade life sciences study: Backyard Biology: Investigate Habitats Outside Your Door (Donna Latham).  The listed age range is 9-12 years old, so I may have to simplify some things for my 6 yr old, but I think it will work well for us.  It includes a hands-on activity for most chaptesr, and covers a broad range of basic info about ecosystems, plants, animals, and other organisms.  After going back and forth for weeks about what to do for science, from buying a textbook style curriculum to going full on WTM style to making up my own weekly themes with book lists and activities, I am happy to finally find something that seems like it will be fairly easy to implement while also catering to my DD's love of "activities" (some activiities may need to be substituted or simplified for us).  It doesn't include human body stuff, so I will need to do something separate for that, and we will probably use the Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia to read about specific large animals my DD wants to learn more about, but I think this will get us going.  I am also excited because I was wanting to include more "nature studies" into our homeschool and thought I'd have to do it separate from our main science curriculum, but I think this book with cover both. 

I just wanted to share, because I think it's a good resource and I know many of us struggle with picking science materials.