Menu

IEW Fix-It Grammar question (Level 2, Robin Hood)

Novafan

I purchased Fix-It grammar to use with my homeschoolers this year.  We began this morning and already I have a question.

This morning's Fix-It sentence (unedited) was:  

in the olden days of england, king henry the second reigned over the land

One of the tasks is to labels the nouns by placing an "n" over the nouns in sentence.

In the solution, they had an "n" over days, England, King, Henry, Second and land.  

I took issue with this because the ordinal number "second" is an adjective.  Are they treating "King Henry the Second" as the noun here, but labeling each individual word?  I would argue that King Henry the Second is the subject of the sentence.  Second should be considered an adjective, right?

We are currently working through week 3 of book 1, but I have book 2 on the shelf.

The articles are taught as noun markers. Whenever you see an article, a noun is coming up. You will see that under the grammar notations on that page. 

(Yes, second would be an adj. if it was in front of a noun, but it is part of his title.) I checked on Dictionary.com and Second can be a noun (or a verb).

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/second?s=t

In this case, "Second" is part of his name, making it a proper noun equivalent to "King" and "Henry."

I agree.  Consider "Alexander the Great." Yes, "Great"is an adjective, but here it is used as part of the proper noun (it's also capitalized, as is "Second," so that's another clue).