Menu

selections for WWE to share? (copywork, narration, etc.)

mom2Hh

I finally decided I'd like to try WWE (hardcover guide) with my son.  (I had the book for over a year and for some reason couldn't delve into it- but now I have and wish we had done it last year).

I like the idea of finding my own literature selections for narration and copywork but not sure I have the time and confidence to choose good selections.  I'm aware of the workbooks that already have selections but know that we may not like all of them.  Has anyone here on the forum or on a blog shared their own selections they used?  We would be doing level 1 or 2 this year.  It would be just a further guide for me and more to pick and choose from if I had trouble finding my own.

I've tried searching but didn't find any such thing.

I used the hardcover text book wwe last year for wwe1. We used Sotw1 and Life Science books for the copywork and narrations. It was ok. We still do Sotw2 narrations. I bought the wwe2 workbook this year to see what I was missing and to help add in dictations. I'm glad I did. The workbook spells some extra teaching opportunities out for me that I wouldn't have thought to do on our own. For example, one lesson says point out the three action verbs in the sentence. The next lesson says to point out the linking verb. Last year I would have skipped adding the quick grammar note in by just handing him the paper and saying "do it". One of my goals with curriculum was to blend the skill subjects with the core subjects to show it in action. WWE2 workbook helps me remember to do that. We do ELTL for grammar but I like incorporating grammar into our writing too, right from the start. I'm not good at grammar so coming up with sentences isn't that hard but ones with the right grammar points for the day IS nerve racking for me. I will use WWE3 workbook next year because I bought it cheap during the damaged goods sale.

Oh, I also like the reminders of HOW to give dictation. The little hand holding on how to do it right is every helpful. For example, you can repeat the sentences at the beginning as many times as you need to till he can repeat it back correctly in full. (It's usually 3-4 times before he says it correctly). Then, I can should help with spelling during it. We've dropped Spelling Workout for now because he's applying the rules during dictation. I'm only three weeks in to wwe2 but I'm very happy with the purchase of the workbook.