Menu

Looking for a FREE Birchbark Canoe Craft

Birch bark is amazingly easy to cut off the tree, if you have a tree. It doesn't kill the tree, does it? They used birch bark so much, I assume it doesn't kill the tree? Not sure exactly what you are looking for but I found a few art projects at nativeamericanactivities.com One is a birch bark basket that I bet you could do with real birch bark OR you could modify it to make a canoe. I want sure how literally to interpret your request. :-)

Try this tutorial to make a miniature birch bark canoe.  The kids can use an awl instead of a drill.   I would make the canoe bigger.  It would be an interesting project because the kids would need to figure out how to make a pattern.

When I was young (years and years ago), my brother did something similar to this only he used one of the cardboard egg cartons and painted it.  I wonder if you could do the same with a styrofoam egg carton.  I would soak either one in warm water first so it's flexible.  This type of material may be easier to work with than the birch bark. . .(if it does work).  Again, another interesting way for the kids to learn by trial and error.