Menu

KISS Grammar—Make sure I'm doing this right.

SorrelZG

So.. I print out the Level 1 .doc file, hole-punch the pages and stick them in a binder (because I have no fancier way to turn loose pages into a workbook), and then my child spends five minutes (or whatever) on a lesson each day marking up the sentences as per the instructions ... ? Am I missing something? I feel like I'm missing something...

What age/grade are you looking at? I did the same thing for my DDs for this year. I printed the 2nd grade and the 6th. The 2nd grade one does not have a lot of instruction in the material beyond, "do this, do that." The 6th grade one has instructional material written to the student between lessons and seems more thorough. I think maybe the point is that the parent/teacher should be verbally explaining more to the younger child and the older child is expected to be self taught? Or maybe the author thought the instructional material is too much or unnecessary for younger kids? I plan on going over the 6th grade material with my 2nd grader if my verbal explanations don't get her far. She's already been through Grammar Island, however, so I don't think she'll need much extra help. 

For my 2nd grader, I also printed the stories that the lessons are based on and she'll be reading those when she begins the lessons. I don't know if we're supposed to do that or not but it seemed fun to me. 

Thank-you, Paige! So far I've only used the second grade, level one a little in the past (hoping I was doing it right?!) and briefly peeked at the third grade, level one book this past week. I will check out the sixth grade book. Any extra instruction would benefit me, no doubt. :)