Menu

Singapore Math - What in the world do I order?

puddleduck

I have used Standards Edition workbooks for some levels, but never used the whole curriculum. I'm now ready to switch to SM completely.  What do I order, which edition? I need cheap and lots of review. My sons are moving fast through their math books and so I don't want to go with something expensive like MIF.

I'm not quite sure I'm understanding your question--do you just want help deciding which edition to use? Or do you need help figuring out which books to buy to implement the program?

Cost and amount of review won't be that much different between the editions, so I'd use whichever edition you feel will work best for you. You said you used Standards Edition in the past; you might just stick with that (that's the one I use, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's far superior to the others). The FAQ on the Singapore website  explains/breaks down the differences between the editions, if you need specifics.

To implement the entire program, you'll want the home instructor's guide, the textbook, and the workbook for each level. That will run you around $50 for a level (most people go through 2 levels per year; YMMV). I've found Rainbow Resource to have a good, if not the best, price on the new books.

You can add Extra Practice, Intensive Practice, or Challenging Word Problems for, well, extra practice. :P

Some people teach with just the textbook and workbook and skip the home instructor's guide, but I have found having the HIG to be worth the money. Even at the lower levels, there is a lot of good information that gives a real depth to the program. I don't think it would be the same without the HIG. 

Anyway, not quite sure if that's exactly what you were asking, but hopefully some of the above is helpful!