Menu

Christian friendly Great Courses

I just found out that a library one town over has a ton of Great Courses. I'm thrilled because I can borrow from them. I am already planning on using Great Authors of the Western Literary Tradition.

Which courses have you used that are YE creationist friendly? I don't mind a few mentions that we can look over. I just don't want the entire course based on those topics.

We haven't used every single course naturally, but Great Courses is a secular company.  I don't think you're going to find anything different among their courses.

Obviously science and early history might have material that you are uncomfortable with.  We have not done any of the Bible and Bible-era history courses because I wouldn't expect them to mesh with our viewpoint, and frankly evolution in a science program doesn't bother me.  We discuss them anyway, and mine are very comfortable with the arguments on both sides.

You will find that the science is science, evolutionary based. The history may make references to early hominid history and development. The Bible courses approach the Bible as an ancient literary source not as truth for people of  faith and some of the conclusions could be offensive depending on your beliefs. If you are conservative in an evangelical or fundamental faith, the art courses might be an issue because the great works include Mary breastfeeding the Christ child, the David, etc. your student will be asked to contemplate a work of art that contains nudity from time to time.

It all depends on your individual beliefs. The classical music, cooking, math, economics, writing,  and some literature lectures are probably fine. Dr. Seller's algebra lectures are a very nice supplement for a student in need of assistance however, the guidebook is NOT a substitute for a curriculum. There are not enough problems for each topic in order to cement the skill. His explanations are simple, succinct, and helpful to many kids. I know PS kids that passed algebra 1 and 2 successfully because they went home and watched Dr. Sellers since they weren't understanding in class or remembering the process well.

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like what I was expecting. I've already looked over the lecture notes for Great Authors and have decided not to include the lectures on the Bible. Nudity in art does not typically bother me. I'm happy with our creationist science, which is still science. The history courses may be interesting.

My kids understand the arguments for and against a young earth creationist viewpoint. Having someone else discuss evolution or millions of years as fact does not bother them. I just don't want an entire course that teaches from that viewpoint.

Stay away from the Earth Science probably - we did a Climate one (my son was doing that for Science Olympiad) and we disagreed with almost every lecture. But we had a good time discussing it together so it was OK. 

The Linguistics ones are great (we watched 2 different ones) and Arthurian Legend. Also Game Theory.