Menu

Non-numerical grading scale on transcript?

We are just starting our high school journey with dd.

Has anyone ever used a non-numerical grade scale on their transcripts? For instance, A=Excellent Work with Best Effort, B=Above Average Work with Good Effort, C=Average Work, D=Below Average Work with Little Effort, F=No Work with No Effort. Is that an option or is that too subjective and "mommy-ish" or outside the norm? I was thinking I could give 4 points for A assignments, 3 for Bs, etc then I would average them to come up with a grade for the semester.

I am just thinking that it was hard for me to give a numerical grade on English, History, and other electives last year, which was the first year I gave grades. I think I wasn't consistent across assignments. Some days I gave 100% for A work; other days it was 95%. We don't tend to do a lot of exams/tests for those subjects. Math and science seem easier, more cut and dry, more numerical. :) I would still like to use a A=90%, B=80% for Math and Science, if possible.

Maybe the grade scale would say:

A=Excellent Work with Best Effort and/or 90%+

Hmm...a mouthful?

I realize I've got plenty of time to work this out. Just planning ahead a bit. Anyone have any thoughts?

How you determine what grade to award for individual assignments and then the final grade for the overall course is totally up to you. Unless you live in a state that requires you to show a portfolio of work to justify grades, I can't think of situations in which anyone else will be looking at your system of grading, so you can do it however you please. :)

However, when it comes listing those final grades on transcripts, you will need to follow a conventional path. Transcripts are largely used by colleges to determine what credits were accomplished, and what grades were earned. Colleges also need to see a final or overall GPA, which is a decimal number. As with any average, GPA is determined by totaling up all the "grade points" (number value of each letter grade), and dividing by the total number of credits.

Colleges also need to see some sort of grade scale to understand what YOU used as far as what points equal what grades for determining GPA for YOUR transcript. So that information also needs to be included in the transcript -- usually a small chart at the bottom of the transcript. That also helps colleges see if you used a weighted grade point scale or not (example of weighted ----> 94-100 = A . . . . compared to the standard unweighted ----> 90-100 = A).

Your verbal descriptions of letter grades will work fine throughout high school for just your personal use in determining grades for individual assignments and for you determining final course grades. You do not at all have to use things like "95%" for grades on assignments. :)

BUT, when it is time to make the transcript… you DO have to follow the conventional route. Colleges will have no idea of what to do with verbal descriptions of letter grades -- it is completely subjective and cannot be tabulated into a numerical GPA.

Colleges need a grade scale that lists numerical equivalents for each letter grade in order to calculate a final, overall GPA for determining if students meet admission standards, should be awarded merit aid, etc. Numerical GPA also allows a way of including courses and grades from other schools and sources on the transcript, since it is a very general standard for schools.

So for your transcripts to list GPA, you will need a grade scale that shows the conversion of letter grades to grade points. (Note: you do not include the actual math calculations of how you arrived at the overall GPA.)

I was thinking I could give 4 points for A assignments, 3 for Bs, etc then I would average them to come up with a grade for the semester.

Yes. This is the grade scale that you would list on the transcript, and the process for determining GPA. :)

Example:

On the transcript, you would list each course with how much credit was earned and what grade was earned. Some colleges also want to see "date completed" for when the course was finished -- if needed, then just add another column after the credit and grade columns to indicate the month/year completion date for each course.

Then, at the bottom of the transcript, you include a grade scale chart to indicate how letter grades translate into grade points for determining GPA. (Below is an example for a transcript listing courses by subject, rather than by grade/year.)

MATH

course .  .  .  .  .  .  credit .  .  .  . grade

Algebra 1  .  .  .  1.00 .  .  . A

Geometry  .  .  .  1.00 .  .  . C

Algebra 2   .  .  .  1.00 .  .  . A

Pre-Calculus .  . 1.00 .  .  . B

total credit/GPA .  . 4.00  /  3.25

GRADE SCALE

letter grade .  .  . grade points

A  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 4

B  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 3

C  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 2

D  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 1

F  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 0

Hope that helps. :) For more on GPA -- how to determine GPA, grading scales, and listing grades and GPA on transcripts, check out the links to "how to" articles below. BEST of luck as you enter the adventures of homeschooling high school! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Quick Start Homeschool: Calculating a High School GPA

The Write Foundation: Grade Point Average Calculation

Donna Young: Grade Point Average

HSLDA: Grade Point Average Calculations -- You Can Do It!

Hmm...well I think I didn't express myself as well as I could have, but Lori's response was so complete that I do think I have my answer. :) Thanks, Lori!

I definitely fully intend to have a numerical GPA. It was just the small chart at the bottom that indicated what I considered an A, B, C, etc that I wondered about. I see it would be better to just go with the standard numerical values there as well.

You are a wealth of knowledge, Lori! Thanks again!

Hmm...well I think I didn't express myself as well as I could have, but Lori's response was so complete that I do think I have my answer. :) Thanks, Lori!

I definitely fully intend to have a numerical GPA. It was just the small chart at the bottom that indicated what I considered an A, B, C, etc that I wondered about. I see it would be better to just go with the standard numerical values there as well.

Michelle, were you thinking you wanted to have an explanation of your grading standards for colleges to be able to see the high standard to which you were holding your student? If so, that would be something you could include in the course descriptions, or as a preface to the course description document that some colleges want. Or, that could go in the statement of school philosophy (or sometimes called "school profile") document that some colleges want. :)

You can see more about course descriptions and examples in the past threads linked in the big pinned thread at the top of the high school board: "Transcripts, Credits, GPA/Grading, Accreditation, College Prep/Applications, Scholarships/Financial Aid, Career Exploration -- links to past threads here!" There are about a dozen threads on course descriptions in post #1 of that pinned thread, after all the threads on transcripts.

For some info about the school profile / school philosophy document, scroll down to post #5, where there are a number of linked threads specifically on preparing for college and applying to college -- check esp. in the "College Admission/Common App section in post #5.

Also, as you are just starting into your high school journey, you may find the other pinned threads at the top of the high school board helpful. "Outsourcing, Online Classes, Tutors, Dual Enrollment, AP, PSAT, SAT/ACT, SATII, CLEP, GED -- links to past threads here!" starts off with a section on getting started with high school and making a plan, and then links past threads on all sorts of info on outsourcing and all the tests you may encounter during high school.

And DiCentra put together two awesome massive compilations of info on options for homeschooling science with the pinned threads: "Homeschool High School Biology", and "Homeschool High School Chemistry". She's working on the Physics one still. ;)

Hope that helps! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.