Menu

looking for literature recommendations for logic-stage

Okay, I'm starting a new thread because I'm too easily distracted to find what I'm looking for through the forum search.

Ahem....

I'm trying to pull together Classics for my kids to read this school year.  Ages 9 & 13, with the younger easily able to keep up with her elder sister, so I'm pretty much teaching them together.  We will start the school year reading Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, and The Wind in the Willows (a la MCT), but that will only last us through October, if we read 4 chapters per week as I am planning.

I'd also like to align some of the classics with their history (Medieval), and also incorporate as much from around the world as possible, sampling poetry, prose, what have you.  So,

Can any of you recommend some great books for my kids and I to read?  Can you point me to other threads (links, please!) or other resources that have great book lists sorted by time period and/or location/culture?

I have MCT's Classics In the Classroom and really like it.  The codes are helpful for looking for stuff and planning ahead, but not so useful for aligning with history studies or pulling up a list of non-Western or Latin American materials.

In addition to books I will assign for reading I plan on having lots of other great stuff readily available on the bookshelves so they have a large variety to choose from for their self-chosen reading books.  Yes, I like libraries, but I've found we have a tough time getting some things, and by the time we get them through inter-library loan we only get to keep them for a week.  I want the girls to get to have no time limits on their reading material this year, and my book addiction will find and use any excuse to get to keep more books.

Oh, and we are secular and planning on studying religions from around the world.  We tend not to be offended by any religion, so feel free to include them.

TIA!

When my kids are that age, we're planning to just read and discuss a lot of Newbery Award Winners.

When I was in 5th grade public school, Miss Rosie Ryan did not teach us reading/lit from a textbook.  We read Newbery Awards.  She had activities for each book, too.

That year, we read:

Amos Fortune, Free Man

To Be a Slave

Sounder

Old Yeller

Tom Sawyer

Tuck Everlasting

Island of the Blue Dolphins
and more

Aloud, she read us The Westing Game and Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.

It wasn't until I was an adult, and I wandered upon a library poster with the Newbery Award Winners that I realized how well read I was due to Miss Ryan.

Advantages:

1) Your children will be considered "well read" by their future teachers, and they will be reading what their peers are reading.

2) A step up in challenge (for vocabulary and discussion)
3) Support resources should be easy to find online.
4) You can take your kids to the library, find the Newberry poster, and say,"Pick one. Any one.  Just pick one."

***For the Middle ages, look for :

1996: The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman
and

2008: Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz

***Catherine Called Birdy is also by Karen Cushman